Normal Topic Translation (Read 2722 times)
FredG

No personal text

Translation
Dec 21st, 2003 at 2:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
I translated a database to Sesame, ARCHIVE.dtf.

very simply only 10 fields and no programing, the design transfers fine, the data doesn't,  2 fields are wrong,
Order number: adds trailing 000000's to the order number,  like:  4589.0000000,      and the same problem with the field Phone:  6422393.0000000000000,
should be 6422393
In QA5 those fields are formated for a number (N).

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Re: Translation
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2003 at 2:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
These problems are easily remedied.
Firstly you should not use a number field for telephone numbers. To do so stops you adding non-numeric characters such as 1-800 .. or (215) 598 ..
So you should use a text field for telephone numbers.

As for the extra decimal places: well Sesame is protecting your Q&A data - ensuring you don't lose the full values it is importing.  If you want two decimal places for a particular field, then open the form in Designer, and format the layout element that displays that field for two decimal places.  

Alec
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2003 at 3:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I translated a database to Sesame, ARCHIVE.dtf.

very simply only 10 fields and no programing, the design transfers fine, the data doesn't,  2 fields are wrong,
Order number: adds trailing 000000's to the order number,  like:  4589.0000000,      and the same problem with the field Phone:  6422393.0000000000000,
should be 6422393
In QA5 those fields are formated for a number (N). 

As Alec, says, these fields are not wrong. They are very precisely correct.  Wink

Q&A stores everything as a string. In Sesame, a number is actually stored as a number. Under the hood, all numbers are stored at a high level of precision. We use your display format settings to determine how many decimal places to show you on your form.

When you translate a Q&A database, if a field is type N, we look to see if you have specified how many places to show, i.e. N2 or N3. If you have, we use that setting. If you have not, in order to avoid truncating your existing data, we default to 7 decimal places. Basically, since we don't have any clues from you as to how your numbers are to be shown, we guess high for safety's sake.

To remedy this on translation, specify the number of decimal places in the Q&A Field Format Spec. In your case, you likely want N0, for zero decimal places.

To remedy this after translation, as Alec says, set the display format using Designer.   Instructions for doing this are found in the Sesame User Guide beginning on page 86 in the section labelled Format Tab.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

FredG

No personal text

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 2:03am
Print Post Print Post  
thanks for the reply and advice.
in QA5 I changed format to N,0 for order number and Phone: to T
Went to Translation in Sesame, started to Translate Archive.dtf.   the program froze when the progress bar reached 100%,
Progress translating 100%
the only thing you could do was to press Ctrl-Alt-Del
status was:  Sesame-Version 1.0 (Not Responding), I had to End Task.
tried to translate another 3 times, same problem.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 1:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
FredG,

Since a database that was translating well began having trouble when you made a change inside Q&A, this problem may be caused by some corruption in the Q&A database itself. I suggest that you contact Technical Support using the Online Support Form at
http://www.lantica.com/Support/support_request_form.html

They can help you to recover your database, check it for corruption, and see if something specific to your database is interfering with the translation process. If your database is healthy, yet creates a condition which hangs the translator, Development can use your database to track down the problem.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2003 at 12:50am
Print Post Print Post  
It is vital that your Q&A databases are healthy before you translate them.

Q&A is remarkably adept at being able to use a damaged database.  I've seen Q&A databases that appear to be (moderately) functional which are actually shot to pieces - you can't move it, copy it, recover it, export from it - nothing - but it still works.

Other programs - be it Sesame or any other program - can't perform these tricks.  Many Q&A databases I see have been used for years without ever being recovered or mass updated. They have various degrees of corruption.   Sesame will NOT seamlessly translate such databases. No program can.

Before translating your Q&A databases you should read the manual "Q&A Database Translation Guide" in full (or at least the sections that are relevant to you.  You might then like to go through the translation tutorials using the sample Q&A databases supplied.

Then you should carry out the steps described in "'Pre-Translation Operations" on page 4 onwards.   This will save you effort and uncertainty later.

Alec
IP Logged