Normal Topic My first stumbling block (Read 2924 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

My first stumbling block
Dec 23rd, 2003 at 3:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
My first stumbling block or is it a stepping stone? Either way I have a little wrinkle.

I created a database and all looked fine. From Sdesigner preview it behaved and looks fine but when I save as new application and then run from Sesame.exe I have a problem.

When I click add data from the Main application tree the database  opens in add data mode and it looks and works fine as it did in Sdesigner . I can readjust the the Main application tree section bigger or smaller.

When I select Search and update from the Main application tree the database  opens with part of my form covered by the Main application tree section and when I try to readjust the tree section smaller by moving the divider between the tree and form the form moves with the tree section and remains partially covered by the application menu.

I loaded Sesame on another computer same make Dell but different unit. I copied the database over to that machine and received the same results.

My next step was I created another database and then saved it and it works fine.

The second database has less fields and a lot less tabs. Is there a limit to the amount of tabs or records per form?  What else might I be doing incorrectly that could create these results.

Any Thoughts? 

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: My first stumbling block
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2003 at 3:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of your form? Depending on how your form is laid out, and how your window is sized, the form may be opening partially scrolled over to the right. Make sure the horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the form is pulled all the way to the left.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2003 at 4:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
You are awesome! You nailed that one head on.

Its seems that there is a little window creep that occurs on my machines that hides the scroll bar (or I could also be clueless to the obvious) just enough to confuse me. I tightened up the form a bit in Sdesigner saved it as a new database and now I can move things easily. What causes the database to open with the scroll bar not at the left position? Is there a setting?

Thanks

Is there a way for Sesame to scale its forms to the machines screen settings? If not is there a recommended screen resolution?

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2003 at 4:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
What causes the database to open with the scroll bar not at the left position? Is there a setting?

If the Form itself is too wide to fit on the screen, and the first layout element is placed so far to the right that it is not completely visible when the Form opens, the Form will scroll over. There are a number of factors to this, but that's it in a nutshell.

Quote:
Is there a way for Sesame to scale its forms to the machines screen settings? If not is there a recommended screen resolution?

Sesame measures things in pixels, so, to a certain point, it automatically scales.  If you have an element that is 200 pixels wide, on a resolution of 800x600, it will take up about 1/4 of the screen width. On a resolution of 1024x768, it will take up about 1/5 of the screen width.

- Hammer
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2003 at 6:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
On the subject of resolution, my screen is set at 800x600 and when the "select window" opens it is so large vertically that I need to drag it as much as possible to the top so that I can get to the "Filename, Accept & Cancel" buttons.

Is there anyway to resize this window or have is open to the top of the screen without changing resolutions?

A little quirk I noted, when adding a record, the form will not accept input from the  / *- +  keys on the number pad (yes the Num Lock is on  Wink ) will accept input from the number, period and enter keys only.
Any suggestions on this one? have found this to be the same for  most fields "Text, Date, Number, etc"

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2003 at 6:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is there anyway to resize this window or have is open to the top of the screen without changing resolutions?

That window is sized to just fit on an 800x600 screen. It is not currently resizable. We don't get to decide where on the screen it lands. Your operating system manages that.

Quote:
A little quirk I noted, when adding a record, the form will not accept input from the  / *- +  keys on the number pad (yes the Num Lock is on  Wink ) will accept input from the number, period and enter keys only.
Any suggestions on this one? have found this to be the same for  most fields "Text, Date, Number, etc"

Sounds like you've found a little bug in the keyboard handling. We'll see if we can take care of it.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2003 at 4:05am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
A little quirk I noted, when adding a record, the form will not accept input from the  / *- +  keys on the number pad (yes the Num Lock is on  Wink ) will accept input from the number, period and enter keys only.
Any suggestions on this one? have found this to be the same for  most fields "Text, Date, Number, etc"

Yeah, I submitted a bug report on this problem back on 03-16-2003.  I'm a little disappointed to see that it wasn't fixed.

The following is a direct copy of the bug report I sent.
Quote:
While working in Sesame or Designer, the some of the keys by the number pad at the right side of the keyboard don't work.  They are: Forward Slash ( / ), Asterisk ( * ), Minus ( - ), and Plus ( + ).  (The ones near the alpha keys do work properly.  And I did verify that the keys in question work in other programs from my keyboard.)

There is one exception that I found.  The Plus and Minus keys work in the Range box (Property Editor/Other/R).  But, the symbol you type gets placed into the Range box even if the cursor is in the Label box in Property Editor or even on the form somewhere (provided the Property Editor/Other tab is showing).  If you use the Plus or Minus keys located near the alpha keys the symbol will correctly be placed where the cursor is at the time.

Erika, is there any chance that updates to fix small bugs like this, will be released at some point in the near future?

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Dec 24th, 2003 at 1:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Erika, is there any chance that updates to fix small bugs like this, will be released at some point in the near future?

Yes, absolutely. I'm sorry we didn't get this one taken care of for you, Carl. I do see your bug report in the database. I'm not sure why we missed it, but we will get this fixed.

- Hammer
IP Logged