Normal Topic Translation Problem (Read 2296 times)
CapitalG
Members

Translation Problem
Dec 23rd, 2003 at 11:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Congratulations on a great product!

I have followed the Q&A Database Translation Guide in cleaning up and preparing my Database for Sesame.  When I translate, all goes well to 100% and then I get the following error in a popup box titled Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.   Assertion Failed!
Program: C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe
File: superblock.h
Line:274

Expression: _numBlocks >0

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)

My options are Abort, Retry, Ignore

The translation takes about 48 minutes each time.  I have tried it 3 times and get the same error each time.  I have tried Abort, Retry, and Ignore - all of which shut down Sesame.   

If I create a new db in Q&A using copy design only and then add just a small part of the records (400-500) then the translation works fine.  The entire db contains about 7400 records.  The entire db translated fine in the Beta version.

Help

Thanks

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Translation Problem
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2003 at 11:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
This can be caused by a corrupt database, or a corrupt record in an otherwise healthy database. We have translated databases with around 100,000 records, so the number of records is not a problem.

Corruption in the Q&A database can cause Q&A to tell us lies about how big values are or how many fields there are. These things are impossible for us to detect and can cause problems like the one you describe.

You may want to pursue this with Technical Support. Depending on the problem, they may be able to help you check your database or ask you to send us the database for testing.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

CapitalG
Members

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2003 at 6:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the help.

IP Logged

hagsrus

No personal text

Reply #3 - Dec 25th, 2003 at 12:00am
Print Post Print Post  
I've experienced corrupted records in the past (I've been using QA since version 2, I think) and find the best way to isolate them is to copy the records to an empty duplicate of the database, being sure to sort them first in a way you can keep track of.

When a corrupt record is reached the operation will fail.

You can then see what the last successful record copied was, sort your original database and go the to record that would have been next in the sort sequence. Look carefully at all the fields for anything that looks weird.

If you can't see anything, start the copy again, specifying records later in the sort than the suspect one.

This may not be the translation problem, of course. I'm currently working on an empty copy of my old, massive database which is full of quick-and-dirty stuff, trying to isolate what is giving me the same problem.

Good luck to us both!

Frances

IP Logged