Normal Topic Plain text and hyperlinks? (Read 1842 times)
hagsrus

No personal text

Plain text and hyperlinks?
Dec 24th, 2003 at 1:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Reading the manuals during an excruciatingly slow subway ride home I zeroed in on two of my QA frustrations that I hoped would be solved in Sesame.

Glad there's a free-form report, but is html really the only format? It looks as if I'll have to open them in Word and convert them to the plain text I need for my publishing program. It may still be faster than the tortuous conversion of the columnar reports via Wordstar.

And is there no hyperlink included in the field types? I'd hoped to save time by being able to click on URLs instead of cutting and pasting.

Oh well!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Plain text and hyperlinks?
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2003 at 2:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
While HTML is the only format for reports, that is not much of a barrier to using "plain text". If you "preview" your report, or open a report file in your browser, and select "edit | select all" and then "edit | copy" from the pulldown menus on your browser. You can then "paste" the report into any program that accepts *either* plain text or HTML In other words - the browser itself, or the accepting program can invisibly convert HTML to plain text.

If you are using columnar reports, you may want to explore the ASCII export options in Sesame. That will output plain text directly. In addition, SBasic has a number of commands for printing and file I/O that can also create "plain text" files.

To use a hyperlink from inside Sesame, assuming you have the URL (i.e.: "www.lantica.com") as the content of a text field - you can use @shell in the ON ELEMENT ENTER event programming and pass the URL to your favorite browser:

To kick off I.E. using the text layout element "MyURL":

var ii as int
ii = @Shell(@chr(34) + "\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore" + @chr(34) + " " + MyURL)

To use a hyperlink in a report you will need to build the tag in the  element that contains the URL. This is easily done using a derived column and SBasic:

TagColumn = "<A HREF=http://" + MyURL + ">Go To Web Page</A>"

Also, BTW - We do intend to introduce a "hyperlink" field type in the near future.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

hagsrus

No personal text

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2003 at 2:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you for the reply: that improves my optimism about things!

IP Logged

hagsrus

No personal text

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2003 at 6:52pm
Print Post Print Post  

Would this be usable in Q&A too -- unfortunately I lost the program manuals during an office move, and can't find any details of how to use @shell in Q&A's online help. Since it's obviously going to take me a while before I can switch to Sesame for everyday use it would be handy!

<<To use a hyperlink from inside Sesame, assuming you have the URL (i.e.: "www.lantica.com") as the content of a text field - you can use @shell in the ON ELEMENT ENTER event programming and pass the URL to your favorite browser:

To kick off I.E. using the text layout element "MyURL":

var ii as int
ii = @Shell(@chr(34) + "\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore" + @chr(34) + " " + MyURL) >>

To use a hyperlink in a report you will need to build the tag in the  element that contains the URL. This is easily done using a derived column and SBasic:

TagColumn = "<A HREF=http://" + MyURL + ">Go To Web Page</A>"

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2003 at 8:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
I know the report part won't work, because Q&A does not produce HTML reports. Depending on your requirements, you might be able to use another method to assemble HTML output from Q&A. I know it's been done.

As to the Shell statement, I've never tried it. Perhaps one of the other Q&Aers here has...? Feel free to jump in here, folks!  Smiley

I do know that Lantica's Launcher utility can be used to open a web page from Q&A5.0 using @Shell.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged