Normal Topic Trial Versions Available for Download! (Read 1954 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Trial Versions Available for Download!
Dec 21st, 2003 at 9:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Free trial versions of Sesame Database Manager 1.0 for both Windows and Linux are now available at:

http://www.lantica.com/Support/downloads.html

Grin Grin Grin

From the download page:
This free trial version includes the same documentation and sample databases included with the full version. The trial version includes no advertising banners and will install no spyware of any kind.

The trial version of Sesame differs from the full version in the following ways:

* The Q&A database translator is disabled.
* New applications created with the trial version will "expire" 30 days after creation, meaning that the trial version will no longer open or run that application. The included sample applications will expire 30 days from the first time they are opened. An application expired by the trial version of Sesame will be completely reactivated, including all designs and data records, by opening it with the full version.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

TEW

No personal text

Re: Trial Versions Available for Download!
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2003 at 1:31am
Print Post Print Post  
Any idea when a trial version will be available that will handle the Q&A import please?  My employer is interested in replacing all our old Q&A machines but is sceptical about spending the money to do so until we have a chance to test that our databases will go across in a readily usable manner.

Thanks

Rory

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2003 at 1:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
There are currently no plans to offer a trial version with the Q&A importer. There is a translation guide available at http://www.lantica.com/QA/translate.html that should give you and your employer some idea of the conversion process. We don't know your database, so we can't promise a perfect conversion, but we can say that Sesame will convert far more elements of your Q&A databases than any other product you could switch to. Once the conversion is complete, you will find that Sesame uses many of the same keystrokes, conventions, programming language and search syntax as Q&A.

If you have not given the trial version a look, you may want to do so. It is a fully functional version (except for the translator) with sample databases and full documentation.  After playing with it, your employer may decide that it's worth a try.

- Hammer
IP Logged

TEW

No personal text

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 10:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Been there, done that. Unfortunately we use a series of over 20 interconnected databases(some complex. some basic) with a few things that I can't tell if they will be supported or not(I've read basically everything that has been available on the subject for the last 3 months), and buying a copy on the 'chance' it works is not acceptable to my company. The sole reason we will go to Sesame rather than rework everything across to access(which we already own licences to) is if we can successfully take things accross as they are now and have a working system with minimal modification. Alternatively is Lantica prepared to offer a full refund if we purchase and the software will not meet our requirements?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 11:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Been there, done that. Unfortunately we use a series of over 20 interconnected databases(some complex. some basic) with a few things that I can't tell if they will be supported or not(I've read basically everything that has been available on the subject for the last 3 months), and buying a copy on the 'chance' it works is not acceptable to my company.

If you have pre-sale issues that are not being answered by the online information or by using the trial version, then you may want to contact the Sales department at sales@lantica.com to get your particular questions addressed.

- Hammer
IP Logged