Normal Topic Trial version -samples database - printing  forms (Read 1755 times)
Luc_Verlee

No personal text

Trial version -samples database - printing  forms
Dec 29th, 2003 at 11:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
I want to print one of the records from the Scheduling Database, one of the sample databases that came with the trial version.

I retrieve a record ; go to Record Commands, Print Form to HTML, give the file a name and get a perfect record displayed in html .  With File , Print and the record is printed correctly.  Beautiful !

I do the same but now I choose Print to  Default.
All I get is a tiny rectangular outprint about  4 cm high by 4.5 cm wide (or about 1' 9/16  high by 1' 13/16 wide if my calculation is right ?).

When using a magnifier glass one can see all the fields with the correct labels but with no values at all.

Am I moving to fast or am I missing something here ?

Tried on two printers : one brandnew Brother HL7050N laser and one HP 940C deskjet.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Trial version -samples database - printing  fo
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 12:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Normally, this would happen if your form is very large, but, I believe the sample applications are a reasonable size, so there must be something else going on. We're accumulating reports of this issue to try to determine the cause. It's difficult to troubleshoot, because none of our printers are doing it! *sigh* Certain printers (but not all) seem to be scaling differently. Are the other sample applications behaving the same way for you?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

richcoff

No personal text

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 1:35am
Print Post Print Post  
I had the same printout that you are describing when I tried to print a record. I am using a Deskjet HP648C.

Great if you are a "little person" wearing glasses with coke bottle lens.

IP Logged

Luc_Verlee

No personal text

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 9:59am
Print Post Print Post  
We tested all databases that came with the trial; all with the same results: tiny outprint, no values.
On our Brother laser HL7050N the outprint was extremely small;  even with our best googles unreadable.
On the HP940C the outprint is a bit larger.
On both we are missing all the field values.

We made a test on an old Epson FX1050 matrix printer.
When sending the print command we first get an error window called "Sesame Doc . ." showing only a yellow warning triangle without any other message. By clicking the OK button the print job starts.  The outprint size seems OK but :
- the title "Countries of the world" was printed outside the box; in fact it was printed on top of the box's bottom line 
- all labels were there but again with NO field values

We made another test now on an Epson C80 inkjet and bingo ! ... everything there on that printer ! 
But of course that is not helping us any farther as the Brother is the horse that has to do all the print jobs. (There was a time... when all those printers were printing fine... even in Q&A Dos) 

Maybe I'm wrong but it also looks as if the "Print forms" lines are behaving strangely: sometimes they need a double click ; sometimes the print dialogue  box appears and sometimes just one click causes to print ( without showing the dialogue box) or am I working too late these days ?

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 1:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong but it also looks as if the "Print forms" lines are behaving strangely: sometimes they need a double click ; sometimes the print dialogue  box appears and sometimes just one click causes to print ( without showing the dialogue box) or am I working too late these days ?  

There are two issues here:
"sometimes they need a double click" - This is to do with focus. Focus is where the cursor is.  If you are in the form then the first click moves the focus to the menu tree. Subsequent clicks activate the menus.
"sometimes just one click causes to print ( without showing the dialogue box)" -
This is the difference between the menu items ...

Record Commands/Print Form
&
Record Commands/Print Form to Default

(Likewise Results Commands/Print Forms & Results Commands/Print Forms to default, which print all the Result set).

The first one shows you a dialog where you can specify which printer to print to, number of copies etc. The second bypasses the dialog and just prints to the default printer using the default settings. It's just like in Word, where File/Print gives you the dialog, but the Print button on the toolbar prints directly using the defaults.

Alec
IP Logged