Normal Topic Specs don't survive a Reconcile (Read 2923 times)
bluznjaz

No personal text

Specs don't survive a Reconcile
Dec 30th, 2003 at 4:21am
Print Post Print Post  
I have experienced this on two different computers using the same and different databases.  I can create Mass Update and Import specs and they function properly.  I can rename, update and save, and execute them.  But as soon as I make changes to the .dsr file and reconcile the database the specs disappear.  I believe I reported this during the beta testing under user 'hgihd'.  Thanks for looking into it.

David

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Re: Specs don't survive a Reconcile
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 12:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
 I can create Mass Update and Import specs and they function properly.  I can rename, update and save, and execute them.  But as soon as I make changes to the .dsr file and reconcile the database the specs disappear.

This is puzzling.  I've tried various ways and it is all working fine for me.  Are you sure you are reconciling to the same application? When you say the specs "disappear" do you mean the details of the specs disappear, or the complete spec names disappear?  Do ALL specs disappear - import & mass update? What changes are you making to the Designer (DSR) file?
To follow up on this I would need you to list the steps to reproduce this problem. Would you do so for me please?

Alec
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Specs don't survive a Reconcile
Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 1:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bluznjaz,

Specs will survive a Reconcile if they exist in the dsr. If a spec is in the db, but not in the dsr, Reconcile "believes" that you deleted that spec in Designer.

For the sake of user convenience, there are a few structural changes (like saving specs) which can be made in Sesame. To retain these through a Reconcile, before making your other design changes, you need to create a dsr that has these changes. You can do this by:

1. Redesign Current Application. This will create a dsr from your db in its current state, including the changes to specs. You can either save it as a new dsr, or overwrite the existing one. Your choice, depending on whether you like to retain versions of your design.

2. Open SDesigner standalone. From the File menu, select Open Application. Choose your db.  This will create a dsr from your db in its current state, including the changes to specs. You can either save it as a new dsr, or overwrite the existing one. Your choice, depending on whether you like to retain versions of your design.

Now, when you Reconcile, the dsr will have the changes that you made in the db.

If you prefer to use Designer for this task, you can open your dsr, create/rename/save your specs in Preview mode, then Reconcile.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged