Normal Topic Problem with images (Read 1507 times)
bluznjaz

No personal text

Problem with images
Dec 29th, 2003 at 2:42am
Print Post Print Post  
I have created a new database (not a Q&A translation) with an image field element.  I copied a few of the JPEGS from the Gems.db and they work fine.  When I use one of my images I'm getting this error:

"Selected image :C:\Sesame\Pics\two308.jpg does not exist in the Images Root Directory".

However, this jpg is in the same folder as the ones from Gems.db.  Could it be a restriction in the size of the image?  The two308.jpg is 2048x1536 pixels and 1.39MB in size.  Thanks and Sesame 1.0 rocks!

David

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Problem with images
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 12:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Its not the size. I just tried one the same size (and another even larger) without difficulty.

It could be one of two things. Every applications file (.db / .dsr) has its own "image path". If you go to sdesigner and click on "Application" and then "Application Property Manager" you will see a dialog box. The second item on it is the "Image Path". Make sure this is set to the directory where you want to store your images.

The other possibility is that it is a "progressive" JPEG. This is a format that has come into popularity after our graphics library was written. It is used almost exclusively by a few digital cameras. To test if it the "jpeg" format that is the problem - convert the image using any simple image editing program to either ".png" or ".bmp", or to a standard (non-progressive) .jpeg.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

bluznjaz

No personal text

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 4:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark:

You are correct.  The image file came directly from a Sony Cybershot digital camera.  I saved the image using the PNG format and it works perfectly.  Now for the $64K question:  will Sesame support the camera JPG format in a later release?  I have close to a thousand images in that format and converting them would be a real pain.  Thanks.

David

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 1:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yup, we do intend to support progressive .jpeg - hopefully in the next release (but that isn't up to me).

In the meantime...

To make it not so painful to convert from .jpeg to .png you can get many free command-line programs that will convert them. Then build a .bat file with the names of all the files you want to convert - like so:

JpegToPng c:\JpegDir\image1.jpg c:\PngDir\image1.png

This assumes that the command syntax is:

JpegToPng input_file output_file

With a line in the .bat file for each file you want to convert. You can easily build the file list using the DOS "dir" command or any file find utility. Then you get a cup of coffee while it converts all the images.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged