Normal Topic Error S_CLIENT 460030 (Read 1917 times)
mpschein

No personal text

Error S_CLIENT 460030
Dec 31st, 2003 at 3:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've eliminated all the errors in translating a Q&A file, but I'm still getting this last one which prevents the file from being translated.  The description is:

"Error:  blank layout element name used"

and I don't see an explanation anywhere that lets me know what to do to fix it.  Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Error S_CLIENT 460030
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2003 at 3:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
This indicates a field name coming out of Q&A programming that is blank in Q&A's internal field name table. This may be coming from the programming spec, or from a derived column in a report.  This can happen if fields in Q&A that are referred to in programming are deleted. There may be other internal conditions in Q&A that can cause this.

Try resaving your programming spec and all your reports in Q&A to see if any of them give you an error. In general, make sure you have done the pre-translation steps in the Q&A Translation Guide.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

mpschein

No personal text

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2003 at 4:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the quick response.  After backing up the database, I deleted all my reports and it successfully translated, so at least I know where the problem lies.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2003 at 4:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
This can happen if fields in Q&A that are referred to in programming are deleted. There may be other internal conditions in Q&A that can cause this.  

When preparing Q&A databases for translation, it may not be unusual to change Field Names.  Q&A does a good job of changing those field names in the programming statements on the same database.  But that will not be good enough for Sesame.

Q&A is not able to automatically change those field names in other databases in places like LOOKUP functions, some programming that might be done in saved Retrieve Specs, Derived Columns in reports, destinations in Posting Specs, etc.  Navigation Specs might also contain LOOKUP statements that reference fields in other databases.  I have also run into instances where Field names are referenced in macros, where the macro does direct typing of a field name in part of the process.
================
In each "application" that consists of multiple Q&A databases, consider doing this for each of the databases:

Before changing Field Names for Sesame, print a text file copy of the existing Programming , Navigation, Retrieve Specs, Posting Specs, Report Specs, Mass Update Specs, etc.  

Then keep a list (keep in a Sesame database?) of all Field Names changed, listing the original database name, original field name, and the new name.  When changes are done in each database, then open up the text files of the saved specs and do a search, looking  for the old field names so you can identify other locations that may need to be changed.  

This may be overkill, but can be a  time saver on complex Q&A applications.  Even though Sesame will not convert some Q&A tools, like macros for example, at least you will already have references to the correct current names when you start to do those manual conversion steps.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2003 at 5:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good point Bob. An alternative, for those of you with EXTENSIVE, HIGHLY-PROGRAMMED Q&A databases, is John Dow's DTFSPECS program. This allows you to document, view, search programming outside of Q&A. Very handy indeed. 
www.johntdow.com

Alec
IP Logged