Normal Topic running server as linux daemon? (Read 1078 times)
pops

No personal text

running server as linux daemon?
Dec 31st, 2003 at 8:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
how can i run sesame in server mode on a linux server without a xterm active?

if i do:

export DISPLAY=:0.0
nohup /usr/local/sesame/sesame -server mh2 &

i can connect from a windows client once, but as soon as I exit the client the server dies.

how can i run sesame server as a daemon?

Thanks.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: running server as linux daemon?
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2004 at 2:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is probably because the Sesame server has a user interface that under Linux is dependent on having an X server still running. When you logged off the Linux box, after starting the server, did you keep your X server running?

As soon as the X server is kaput - so is the Sesame server. The next release (1.0.1) will have a flag on startup that will allow the server to run without a user interface. That will let you set it up as a daemon (you could even put it in rc.d / init.d). In the meantime (it won't be too much longer) keep the X server running, either on the client machine or on the server machine.

Using Hummingbird's Exceed on the client machine as the X server, I was able to telnet into the Linux machine, start Sesame using the PC as the X Server, log off the Linux machine with the X server still running (on the PC) and the Sesame server still displaying on the PC. Sesame was okay until I killed the X Server on the client PC.

Giving the Sesame server an graphical interface was an after-thought based on demand from the Beta testers to have some way to monitor connections. So making it optional should be very easy.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged