Normal Topic Redesigning Translated Database (Read 1014 times)
josebetzy

Hmmm. How? Cómo?

Redesigning Translated Database
Jan 3rd, 2004 at 6:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have translated  QA5 DTF's to Sesame without much problem. The translation did some funny things though to the finished Sesame database. First, some layout elements had their label attached to that single element while others had nothing but a multi line label. This I fixed by going to the editor and began to assign the label to each element and erasing the multi line text box.

Another item was multi line text fields (in QA5),  that got truncated in the translation, only the first line appeared. But this is no problem since Sesame will handle merge letters differently.  In QA5 I had this text added to be able to print out the current form rather than using a merge.

Now, I need to change some of the fields (layout elements) to a combo-box. Example: I need to change an layout element from the translation named "Campus" to a combo box so that the different campuses can be selected.  Also, change others like "sex" to a radio select box, etc.  Or do I need to create a new element combo-box and bind it to this particular element and place the new bound element on the form rather than the original element called Campus.

Obviously, there is a need for how-to articles that deal more directly with translated databases and form design, setting up a finished application from QA5 for use on a Lan for end users, and general guidance to this end. I would like to see (even if small) a finished application that actually runs a business. By this I mean with menu's, forms, etc.

I feel that with something like this I can readily see in which direcction I should move to. Thanks

Jose L. Muñoz

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Redesigning Translated Database
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2004 at 7:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
We'll be developing this sort of thing on a continuing basis. We hope that Sesame users will begin to contribute their code and applications as well.

Inside Sesame is entirely devoted to producing this sort of material.

Meanwhile, if you have specific questions, we (meaning the Lanticans and Sesame users here) will be glad to try to help out.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged