Normal Topic Macro Pause for user input (Read 812 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Macro Pause for user input
Jan 4th, 2004 at 3:41am
Print Post Print Post  
It appears that macros will not be able to pause for user inputs as they used to do in Q&A. 

I am trying to get a simple macro to pause for input, but playback does nothing.

I have loaded the Tutorial database MyTabs.
I am in Sesame Database Manager.
The tree is open and expanded on the left showing the NewForm under the Add Date branches.

I am doing the following.
Macro Recording On
Click on New Form under Search/Update Branch (need to left click twice).
Tab to First name field
Enter "R.."  (without quotes in all examples)
Tab to Address field
Macro Recording Off
Enter "123.." into Address Field
Macro Recording On
Tab to State field.
Enter "NH"
Press "F10" key  (One record comes up in record set.  That is good).
Macro Recording Off
Save Macro.

Confirm that macro has been saved in folder.

Next steps:
Clear macro
Load macro
Select macro from list.  Accept
Make sure window is open same as in beginning, New Sesame Application is highlighted.
Macro, Playback.

NOTHING APPEARS TO BE HAPPENING.

Even if doing the Recording Off/On to create a pause does not work, I thought at least it would go into the Search Mode, and search ignoring the Address field that I tried to do with user input.  What is wrong with my simple macro?  What am I doing wrong?

(As noted in earlier posting, it is not possible to edit the macro, so I cannot remove the "pause" that I tried to put in).

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Macro Pause for user input
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 2:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Event recording macros are a whole different ball game in a GUI (Windows) program than in a DOS program. Sesame's macro recorder is an event recorder with a few smarts built in to try to smooth the way. It can't start and stop or wait for user input.

In the long run. long complex recorded macros will not be the way to do things in Sesame, as it was in Q&A. Automation capabilities and tools such as SBasic commands, which are more appropriate to gui tasks, will be built into the program.

As to your macro, from your description, the only thing you actually saved was the piece after the last Recording On. This macro, if run from the Application menu, would have tried to tab to an element which was not there, then pressed F10, which does nothing on that screen.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged