Normal Topic Posting Command or Strategy (Read 1308 times)
Mr Bear

No personal text

Posting Command or Strategy
Dec 31st, 2003 at 4:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
In reveiwing the Sesame documentation I did not see any reference to a Posting Command as there was in Q&A.

I want to add records to a trasaction file database (e.g PAYMENTS) then Post the information from fields from this file such as AMOUNT and DATE RECEIVED to fields in another master database (e.g CUSTOMERS) such as TOTAL RECEIVED and DATE OF LAST PAYMENT.

Since the ability to post information from one database to another is required in most business applications I am sure there must be a way of doing this in Sesame.

Is there a Posting command in Sesame that I missed? Otherwise, what is the general strategy for performing this task?

I admit at his point I have not yet loaded Sesame and have not begun to tinker I have only been reviewing the documentation.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Posting Command or Strategy
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2004 at 10:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
If I understand you right, you are wondering about the "Post" menu selection that was available in Q&A version 4.  In Q&A 5, xpost function and command made available which could post in real time while adding records. @xpost function and xpost command in programing is also available in Sesame.

Moreover, with little programing one can use "Mass Update" to do the same what "Post" did in Q&A4. I would like other Pros to respond on this subject as I could be very well missing something here or did not understand the gist of your question.

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2004 at 11:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I would like other Pros to respond on this subject as I could be very well missing something here or did not understand the gist of your question.

You are absolutely correct Bharat.

Alec
IP Logged

Mr Bear

No personal text

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 6:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat, thankyou for your quick response.

As it happens, I was experieced using the Post command in both Q&A 4 and Q&A 5. I had not worked with the XPOST function availabe in Q&A 5 since I wanted batch processing rather than real time processing.

In any case, I experimented with the XPOST function and got it to do a simulated batch posting of a transaction file using, as you suggested, a MASS UPDATE strategy.

It took me longer than it needed to because I don't think the syntax of the function is correct in the Q&A 5 documentation. If I had looked at the Sesame documentation first (where it is written correctly) I could have saved myself some aggravation.

Thanks again

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 6:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
...I don't think the syntax of the function is correct in the Q&A 5 documentation. If I had looked at the Sesame documentation first (where it is written correctly) I could have saved myself some aggravation.

- Yes it's unfortunate that there are quite a few errors in the QA5 APT manual.  Glad you made it through.

Alec
IP Logged