Normal Topic Sesame Crashed (Read 1668 times)
rtaaop

No personal text

Sesame Crashed
Jan 5th, 2004 at 7:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
I designed a simple form in Sesame, imported data from QA5 using Ascii. It worked fine. However, while bringing an image file up to date, I received the "microsoft has encounted a problem with Sesame" or words to that effect and "must be shut down." Now, after exiting and cold booting from scratch, when I try to access the Sesame database in question, I get the message  "the database failed to open."  Does Sesame have a "RECOVER" feature? Any ideas? Thanks for your help. I'm using XP Home Edition.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame Crashed
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 8:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
If a Sesame app crashes, it does not get to close properly. A small command line utility included with Sesame called SUnlock will unlock the application and allow it to open.

SUnlock (sunlock.exe) is found in the Utilities/Lantica subdirectory of your installation directory. Instructions are on page 465 of the User Guide.

In brief:
1. Open a command window.

2. At the prompt, type
cd c:\sesame\utilities\lantica

3. Assuming that your application (.db file) is in the C:\Sesame\Data directory, type
sunlock c:\sesame\data\myapp.db

Sesame should now be able to open your application.

As a side note, if this app continues to crash, Development would like to have it for debugging purposes.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 8:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
There is also the same "unlocking" facility inside Sesame. Go to the the Server Admistration dialog from the File pulldown. Unlock application is on one of the "tabs".

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

rtaaop

No personal text

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 8:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you, Hammer, it worked like a charm.  I have my image files in an external, iomega drive. Specifically, what caused the crash: I clicked on one image file and it didn't come up in the sesame field so I clicked on an alternate image and that's when I received the "shut down" message. Thanks for your quick response.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 9:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
There is also the same "unlocking" facility inside Sesame. Go to the the Server Admistration dialog from the File pulldown. Unlock application is on one of the "tabs".

Mark, I want you to know that your input in this forum has been very helpful. Since you are the lead programmer, your little input could save us a lot of grief.  Erika's inputs also have been invaluable. Also, while going through the Programming  Guide and particularly appendix 2, one could not help noticing the awesome power of Sesame as compared to Q&A and simplicity and ease of use just like Q&A. 

As far as instant printing on paper, workaround using merge with external word processor or Programming printing  commands might be workable but having own built-in word processor with a few inbuilt programing functions to receive merge-fields from other layout elements make Sesame more functional without much programming and a lot less intimidating to new users.

For Q&A users, Sesame is a boon, more so for non-programmers, never-the-less computer enthusiasts. Thank you again for the great product, that I believe will exponetially get better with new versions.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 10:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark, I want you to know that your input in this forum has been very helpful. Since you are the lead programmer, your little input could save us a lot of grief.  Erika's inputs also have been invaluable. Also, while going through the Programming  Guide and particularly appendix 2, one could not help noticing the awesome power of Sesame as compared to Q&A and simplicity and ease of use just like Q&A. 

As far as instant printing on paper, workaround using merge with external word processor or Programming printing  commands might be workable but having own built-in word processor with a few inbuilt programing functions to receive merge-fields from other layout elements make Sesame more functional without much programming and a lot less intimidating to new users.

For Q&A users, Sesame is a boon, more so for non-programmers, never-the-less computer enthusiasts. Thank you again for the great product, that I believe will exponetially get better with new versions.

Exponentially better might be a pretty tall order - but I do hope that we'll get some of the rough edges cleaned up and then on to some really neat features.

I'm glad that we (Erika is my partner here at Hammer Data) can help. It is always heartening to hear someone say that it is easy to use. Ease of use was a primary project goal, but it is also a difficult target to hit. I hope it will get easier and easier with each passing release.

As to adding a word processor, we may by 2.0 or so be able to add a simple word processor - something like the text editor used to edit SBasic. That would be usuable for very simple merge documents. But the difficulty comes in when people start trying to use a simple word processor to create sophisticated documents with fonts and graphic, tables and charts. So rather than spend the extra year or two it would take to build something that complicated from scratch, we opted to try to work well with existing programs that already have all those word processing features.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged