Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sesame caused error in Sesame (Read 2713 times)
hagsrus

No personal text

Sesame caused error in Sesame
Dec 25th, 2003 at 3:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, still trying to translate my big old database (just the design, no records yet).

I've been making various experimental changes, and sometimes a revision goes through with warnings in the log file (fine, tells me what to fix) and sometimes I get an error message that Sesame caused an error in Sesame, and the program closes down. Rebooting doesn't seem to fix it. The log file doesn't seem to record anything that I can pinpoint as helpful.

Is the problem what I'm trying to translate or a program bug?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sesame caused error in Sesame
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2003 at 11:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
The answer is - probably both. We've test translated a few hundred databases and have not seen any problems translating Q&A databases that have no corruption. Corrupt databases, on the other hand, can give Sesame real grief on translation. Of course Sesame should not "crash" - no matter how corrupt the Q&A database, but clearly - in your case - there is some condition that it is not anticipating.

Have you contacted Lantica's customer support? If so, have you sent in the database in the condition that causes Sesame to "close down"? If it is purely a case of corruption in the Q&A database, customer support can probably help you get it in shape for translation. And in any case, we would like the opportunity to fix whatever is causing Sesame to shut down.

Lantica technical support can be reached at:
http://www.lantica.com/Support/support_request_form.html

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

hagsrus

No personal text

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2003 at 12:05am
Print Post Print Post  
It seems to be something in the saved reports, though I've gone through them all as suggested in the preparation instructions.

I fnd I can get translation if I strip the reports out of the database first. (No, I haven't tried sending the original database to tech support yet, but I can do that.)

So then I tried to create a freeform report that would take state names and city names and group them, so that each state name appears once with the corresponding cities below. I've sorted on State, City, and I've tried State in Group Header, where it doesn't show up, and in Group Body, where it repeats above every City.

Am I trying to do something impossible or have I missed a vital step? I've been following the documentation, which doesn't seem to mention you have to close the design tab before going to preview, so I'm wondering if there's some other instruction missing.

I could do this in Q&A with a columnar report, but then had to reformat it all in Wordstar to get it out of columns into a regular text appearance.

ALABAMA
Dothan
Mobile
Montgomery

ARKANSAS
Eureka Springs
Little Rock

etc.

I did just send a request to tech support on this one.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2003 at 1:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
In this case, a Table report will serve better than Freeform.

1. In the Group Body, place a Value Box bound to State. Using the Property Editor, set it's Visible property to No. By default, it will be named LE0.
2. In the Group Body, place a Value Box bound to City. By default, it will be named LE1.
3. In the Group Header, place an Unbound Value Box. By default, it will be named LE2.
4. Click on the column title where it says "Group Body". The Report Section Properties dialog will appear. From the Break Element dropdown, choose LE0. Leave the Break Value set to 0. Click OK.
5. From the Commands, choose Program Layout. From the Element dropdown, choose LE2. Use the following programming statement:
LE2 = LE0

From the File menu, select Close Programming Editor.
6. Save your report.

This should do what you want, except for a bug where the first State value will not appear. This is because it is trying to print the first Group Header before it has the actual record values. Development will be looking into this.

Quote:
I've been following the documentation, which doesn't seem to mention you have to close the design tab before going to preview, so I'm wondering if there's some other instruction missing.

You don't have to close the Design Tab before going to Preview. You do have to save, in order to see your changes, but you can leave the Design Tab open.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

hagsrus

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2004 at 4:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, it's been about a week since I sent my question to tech support and asked if they wanted a copy of the Sesame-crashing database.

No reply as yet except for a standard ackowledgement.

Happy New Year

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2004 at 12:24am
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, we absolutely do want your crashing database.  Between the holidays and shipping the orders, it may be a few days until they ask you for the database files.  Wink

The solution is likely to be to strip out the reports one by one until you find the corrupted one, or to use one of John Dow's tools to check the reports for corruption. Regardless, development would like to have the database. We can't fix the corruption in Q&A, but we may be able to catch the crash condition.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2004 at 8:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Well, it's been about a week since I sent my question to tech support and asked if they wanted a copy of the Sesame-crashing database.

Yes please do send the Q&A database (.DTF file) to support@lantica.com. 

Alec
IP Logged

hagsrus

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2004 at 12:05am
Print Post Print Post  
OK, the crashing file is in the mail!

Frances

IP Logged

hagsrus

No personal text

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2004 at 12:14am
Print Post Print Post  
<<The solution is likely to be to strip out the reports one by one until you find the corrupted one, or to use one of John Dow's tools to check the reports for corruption.>>

Two questions:

What and where are John Dow's tools, please?

How do I get quoted text like the above into the format I've seen in this forum?

Thanks

Frances

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2004 at 12:42am
Print Post Print Post  
There's several ways to quote what someone has said previously.  If you look in the upper right area of a message you'll see the word Quote as an icon/link.  Clicking on that will put the entire message in a quote in a reply message.  You can edit out the parts you don't want.

Another way, that I'm using now is to first use whatever method you are used to using to "copy" text from a message. (Either right highlight, right-click, copy, or highlight, Ctrl-C).  Then click on the Reply link at the top of the message to open a reply window (which is what I'm in now).

Next, look in the Add YABBC tags area above the reply window, and look at the icons.  The 2nd to last icon on the 2nd row (has a blue arrow) is the "insert quote" icon.  Move your mouse over the icons to get descriptive text to show up.

I click on that icon and get HTML start and stop syntax for quoting.  I then place a space in between these, and do a "paste" of the text I previously copied.  As so:

Quote:
Two questions:

How do I get quoted text like the above into the format I've seen in this forum?

You can preview your message to see if you have what you want, and refresh the preview as often as needed.

John Dow's web site is linked on the Resources for converting to Sesame in the Q&A window on www.lantica.com. ; This link is:
   http://www.johntdow.com/

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2004 at 12:47am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
They allow you to do various things like analyse and document and repair Q&A databases, and other useful things. Available at
- www.johntdow.com

Quote:
- click on "Quote" (above the current message) rather than "Reply" below it.

Alec
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 8:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good news is that your database showed up on my desk and I was able to translate it. The problem is in the reports. In several of the reports there are derived columns in which the heading is blank. By excluding these reports, or filling in the heading, you should be able to translate.

The bug in the translator that makes it have such a fit on blank headings has been fixed. The fix will be available in the next release of Sesame.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

hagsrus

No personal text

Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2004 at 4:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks -- I'll see if I can isolate those, now I know what I'm looking for.

Frances

IP Logged