Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Learning the ropes (Read 8170 times)
Kathie

No personal text

Learning the ropes
Jan 4th, 2004 at 11:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm just going through the tutorial and learning how to create a form etc.  When I tried to save my finished work I get an error message that says "the specified path does not have write permission".   What the heck does that mean? Undecided

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Learning the ropes
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 11:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
I also saw that a few times, but have had trouble reproducing it.  As I recall, when the message came up, I tried to save again 2 or 3 times, changed to a different path, and came back to desired path again.  Or else I had to closed Sesame and restarted again and it was OK.

For information purposes, my copy was installed to a mapped drive on a network, and the data files were also on a different path to a mapped network drive.

This problem has only happened to me twice, and I don't know of any special conditions.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Kathie

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 12:03am
Print Post Print Post  

I've tried several times to save it with the path suggested but keep getting the same error message.  Could it have anything to do with my OS Windows XP?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 12:25am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I'm just going through the tutorial and learning how to create a form etc.  When I tried to save my finished work I get an error message that says "the specified path does not have write permission".   What the heck does that mean? Undecided

It means that you do not have write permissions on the directory where you are trying to save your file.

Are you using XP Pro or XP Home?

Are you the Administrator for your computer?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Kathie

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 12:32am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi,  
Thanks for responding.  I'm using XP pro.  I'm the admin.  Is there something I have to change?  I tried to save it to A:\..etc and got the same error message.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 1:04am
Print Post Print Post  
On my system with the problem, it is WIN98 SE.  No problems with access rights.  After 4-5 attempts, it was OK.  Again, mine was to a mapped external drive (not a computer), perhaps a timing issue in trying to resolve  mapping vs. UNC?

Reviewing my notes on 12/30/03:
1.  Had to try four times to create Application name on Tutorial, page 18.  Got message that could not write to that location.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 2:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Do you have the term "[DRIVES]" appearing in your rootdirs.ini file and is the rootdirs.ini file someplace where Sesame can find it? Otherwise do you have the drive letter or UNC path you are saving to - specified in the rootdirs file?

If so, do you have write permission in that directory on the target computer and in all of its parent directories?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Kathie

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 2:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
On page 28 of the tutorial under "saving your design as an application" it tells the user to click on Application/Save as New Application and then type C:\Sesame\Data\MyContacts.DB   This is where I'm getting the error message "the specified path does not have write permission".  I've tried saving it to A:\ etc. and get the same message.  I've checked the root directory and under C:\ there is a folder called DRIVERS.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 2:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
On page 28 of the tutorial under "saving your design as an application" it tells the user to click on Application/Save as New Application and then type C:\Sesame\Data\MyContacts.DB   This is where I'm getting the error message "the specified path does not have write permission".  I've tried saving it to A:\ etc. and get the same message.  I've checked the root directory and under C:\ there is a folder called DRIVERS.

Kathie,

The following instructions assume that you installed to the default directory (c:\Sesame) and are launching using the shortcuts that were automatically created for you without modification. If this is not the case, please let me know!  Grin

You should have a file on your hard drive c:\sesame\rootdirs.ini
That file should look like this:

Data
Data\Samples
[DRIVES]

If this is not the case, please let me know!  Grin

When you select Save As New Application, a dialog box will open asking you to name your file. The filename box should already say C:\Sesame\Data\
If this is not the case, please let me know!  Grin
You do not need to retype the "C:\Sesame\Data\" part. When you click Accept, the filename should say
C:\Sesame\Data\MyContacts.DB

Does it?

Open Notepad. Type a few characters. Try to save the file to the C:\Sesame\Data folder as testing.txt. Were you able to do so?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Kathie

No personal text

Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 3:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have a file called C:\Sesame Trial.  When I click on that folder it takes me to a list of other folders one of which is Data.  Clicking on that takes me to a folder called Samples and now the test.txt file I saved from notepad. When I tried to save the Application the words C:\Sesame\Data do not appear in the window.  Only the Data appears.  I haven't located a file called c:\sesame\rootdirs.ini or Data  Data\Samples  .  [DRIVES]

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 3:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I have a file called C:\Sesame Trial.  When I click on that folder it takes me to a list of other folders one of which is Data.  Clicking on that takes me to a folder called Samples and now the test.txt file I saved from notepad. When I tried to save the Application the words C:\Sesame\Data do not appear in the window.  Only the Data appears.  I haven't located a file called c:\sesame\rootdirs.ini or Data  Data\Samples  .  [DRIVES]

If you only have the trial version, you do not have a C:\Sesame directory. The tutorials are written to run against the installation locations for the full version. When you save your tutorial app, try saving it as
C:\SesameTrial\Data\MyContacts.DB

Note that there is no space between Sesame and Trial.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Kathie

No personal text

Reply #11 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 3:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Okay, I'll try that later today when I get back.  Gotta go to a meeting now.  Thanks for your help.

Kathie

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2004 at 1:02am
Print Post Print Post  
My rootdirs.ini is in Q:\Sesame\ folder where I installed Sesame.  Applications and DSRs are in Q:\Data\Sesame folder.

Content of rootdirs.ini file is here.  Matches your definition:
Quote:
Data
Data\Samples
[DRIVES]

Clicked on Save as New Application.  Default path already in filename field is:q:\Data\Sesame\.  Matches your definition.

Problem occured when doing the following: left click mouse on field for database root directories, drag down to letter q:, releasing mouse.  Double clicking + on Q:\Data folder to expand, left click on Sesame folder at Q:\Data\Sesame, entering "newname" (no extension included) in the filename field, and left click on Apply.

It just happened now ??? Grin ???, as I was recording my steps on the forum.  Got the message "Error: The specified path does not have write permission." 

Clicked on OK button.

View returned to New Sesame Application tree.  Tried again, Save as New Application, same decisions and steps , file was saved.  Confirmed that the DB and DAT files were saved with the correct date/time. 

This time the saving happened on just the second attempt.  Earlier instances took 4-5 attempts before it would save.  I was surprised that I was able to duplicate it, because it does not always happen.  Just did it again with a new application filename, accepted the first time, no error message. ??? Grin ???

Again, drive Q is an external drive, mapped, not using UNC.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Kathie

No personal text

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2004 at 1:43am
Print Post Print Post  
[If you only have the trial version, you do not have a C:\Sesame directory. The tutorials are written to run against the installation locations for the full version. When you save your tutorial app, try saving it as
C:\SesameTrial\Data\MyContacts.DB

Voila!!  It worked.  Now on to creating reports.  I'm a Q&A user (not programer).  So far I like Sesame and will probably buy the full version.

Thanks guys for all the help. 

Kathie

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2004 at 12:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

There is actually a small bug in the file selector. If you expand and contract folders, it will sometimes  strip off the drive letter, leading to this message.  The second time, you make the exact same choices, buy very carefully to make sure. So you don't cause the condition and the file saves.   Wink

This will be fixed in the next bug release. Until then, look carefully at the file path before hitting Accept and make sure that it is complete.

Kathie,

I'm glad the right path worked for you. Enjoy Sesame!  Grin

- Hammer
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print