Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Learning the ropes (Read 8164 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Learning the ropes
Reply #30 - Jan 8th, 2004 at 11:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Kathie,

It sounds to me like, at some point, instead of redesigning your existing app, you clicked on Design New Application. Then, you told it to overwrite your existing dsr with the new blank dsr.

You will always get that popup when you select Redesign Application.  If you have actually selected Redesign, then overwriting should do no harm and is, in fact, often exactly what you want to do. Perhaps we should reorganize the command tree so these commands are not together...?

FYI: if this happens again, remember that your db is untouched by this. Close Designer. Go back to Sesame. Click Redesign Current Application. The dsr file you save will have your design back, good as new!

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Kathie

No personal text

Reply #31 - Jan 9th, 2004 at 1:17am
Print Post Print Post  

Hammer you have the patience of Jobe, thank heaven.  Okay got the report set up, very basic, can't figure out how to seperate the columns farther apart but I'll get to that later. In Q&A I just call up the records I want and fill in the sort spec's and I get the results I'm looking for.  (Will all that transfer over from Q&A)  I've opened the database in Search/Update mode. On Page 376 the next step is Retrieve/Sort the records to include in the report.  Do I type the sort spec's in the fields on the form?  I don't see a sort option on the tree.

Again thanks for you patience and help.

Kathie

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #32 - Jan 9th, 2004 at 1:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Sort Spec is one of the specs available in the Spec Window at the lower left corner of your screen.  Instructions begin on page 230 of the User Guide.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Kathie

No personal text

Reply #33 - Jan 9th, 2004 at 9:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks again Hammer for your help.  I've got the sort spec figured out but still have questions.  My report in Q&A sorts four fields as follows: Model 1,DS   Sale Date 2, DS, YB, F(D3)   Sale Price 3, SA and Location 4.  Is there a way to put in these sort commands?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #34 - Jan 9th, 2004 at 9:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
The report will use your current retrieved records in their current sort order. Retrieve the records you want, sort them, and run your report.

If you always want the report sorted a certain way, you can attach specs to reports. Look at pages 369-370 of the User Guide.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print