Normal Topic Install problem (Read 947 times)
gamedad

No personal text

Install problem
Jan 12th, 2004 at 3:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
I installed Sesame on my home PC works fine.  I tried installing it on my computer at work
and I get an error.

{NSIS ERROR  Installer corrupted or inclompete.  This could be the result
of a failed download or corruption from a virus.  If desperate, try /NCRC command line switch [not recommended]}

The computer is an older HP Pentium 233 running windows 98se.  Any hints?
Thanks
Gamedad

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Re: Install problem
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 4:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is the first report of such a problem. We're not aware of any reason why you might be getting a failed install so it could be something simple like a dirty CD or a dirty lens on your CD-ROM drive. Is this the original CD you are using or did you copy it?  Or a badly connected internal CD-ROM drive cable?

There's just a chance that your CD-ROM drive is so old that it is incompatible with modern CDs.  This used to be a problem with early machines (around the time of the first Pentiums) but I doubt it in this case because yours is a deal newer than that and besides, we have performed successful test installs on machines older than yours.

I'd start by ensuring the CD is clean, then opening the CD-ROM drive tray and blowing in there to maybe remove any dust on the laser (a CD lens cleaner may be useful?) and trying again.  Problems with dirty floppy drive heads / dirty CD-ROM Laser lenses are common with older machines which are dusty inside and where the drives have not been used for years.

Let us know how you get on.

If anyone else has had any problems with the installer / CD problems we really want to hear from you.

Alec
IP Logged

gamedad

No personal text

Re: Install problem
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 4:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks
I suspect you are right.  The computer is in a dusty location.  The cd drive is rarely used.  I had to use the manual release to get it to open.  I'll try cleaning it or maybe replace it.
Thanks
Gamedad

IP Logged