Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Attn: People with Printing Problems (Read 2723 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Attn: People with Printing Problems
Dec 30th, 2003 at 2:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Those of you have the issue where Print Form is producing a postage stamp sized image of your Form - The Cow is on the hunt and thinks we may have a culprit!

"J'accuse!," he exclaims.

If you are experiencing this problem, please answer the following two questions:

1. What is your screen resolution?

2. Are you using Sesame at the window size it originally appears, or are you resizing/maximizing the window?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Luc_Verlee

No personal text

Re: Attn: People with Printing Problems
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 3:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
A postage stamp print...right you are that's what happening !

1- Our screen resolution is 800 x 600
small fonts

2- We were using Sesame in the window size it originally opens with (which is practically the size of the screen but after a second look it can still be maximized a bit to cover the whole screen)

Blank page follows every outprint.

Good luck and thanks for the efforts !!
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2003 at 9:01am by Luc_Verlee »  

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 10:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Postage Stamp Print.

That only happens with us if we try to print the form "Schedule.db" from the supplied samples and it only prints the background color. Can not print any other form unless we switch to postscript printing (with mix results but at least we get something on paper).

1- Using 800x600 resolution

2- Using Sesame as it opens

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 11:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika and Mark,

Here are results from some quick tests that I did concerning printing.  I used the Customers database that was supplied with Sesame.  I retrieved a single record, and used the commands Print Form to Default and Print Forms (to select a different printer) under the Results Commands.  I tested with two printers:

1) Default printer is HP LaserJet 1100
2) Epson Stylus C80 Color Inkjet

Test 1
Screen resolution on 19" flat panel LCD was 1280x1024 (maximum).

HP LaserJet 1100:
Sesame window as opened: HP laser printed the form in large size, as it appears on screen.  Maximizing Sesame screen, and printing caused significant reduction in size of the printed area, but is still readable, though quite small.  Printed area takes up approx. 1/4 of the gray area that printed as background from the screen.
   Epson Stylus C80
Epson printer printed the form the same size, regardless of whether the Sesame window was "as opened" or maximized.  The printed area is the reduced size, using approx 1/4 of the gray area that printed as background. 

Test 2
Screen resolution set to 800x600 (minimum). 

Opening Sesame at this screen resolution shows Sesame window at nearly full screen, but can be maximized a small amount.

Printing on both the HP Laser and the Epson Inkjet showed no significant changes when the screen setting was changed to maximum (minimal screen change).

Note: In ALL instances of printing, the printers printed a second blank page, even though the print area was complete on the first page. 

Hope some of this info helps.
T.J.

IP Logged

LindyR

Thanks Lanticans!!

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2003 at 12:15am
Print Post Print Post  
Default printer is HP LaserJet 4 Plus
Network printer is HP Deskjet 855C
Screen resolution is 2048 x 768 dual monitor high color

Forms print to LaserJet OK from various sample dbs.  Blank sheet at the end of each print job -- don't need that.  Adjusting window size larger results in a smaller printed image and adjusting window size smaller results in a larger printed image. 

Same print jobs as above are shooting blank pages out of the Deskjet -- no forms -- no data.   (I checked the ink!)   Smiley

Lindy Robertson&&Beaverton Oregon
AIM AIM  
IP Logged

Gordon_M
Members

No personal text

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2004 at 6:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,
My Sesame seems to print OK, except today I am getting a blank page at the end of the print job. The bad part is I do not recall this extra page last year (Mon Tues of this week), at least not on the one form I was working with. Win XP Pro, screen resolution 1024x768, Sesame as it opens. Oki B4200 (PCL - thinks it's a LJ4).

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2004 at 12:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Just to give you an update, we are closing in on this issue. It appears to be caused by the way different print drivers handle (or fail to handle) fonts of various sizes.

We've managed to create a condition in the lab with a combination of driver, operating system and printer that allows us to reproduce the problem, which goes a long way towards fixing it. In our case, it's an HP 682C on Windows 98 using the Win98 default driver (but not 2000 or XP using the network driver!).

We can see now what the problem is and are working on a solution. We very much appreciate the feedback and information you've all provided. It's been of great value in tracking down what's going on here. We'll keep you posted  on this!  Grin Grin Grin

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Luc_Verlee

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 8:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Any progress on the postage stamp print issue ?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 8:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
The postage stamp problem appears to be fixed.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 9:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Any progress on the postage stamp print issue ?

Luc_Verlee,

You might already know this but I figured I would mention this anyway.

If you go to the lantica home page at www.Lantica.com and click on the word support it will take you to a page that you can click on a subject called workarounds http://www.lantica.com/Support/sesame_workarounds.html this area shows the status of known issues and the resolution if any at the moment.

This is a neat way we users can keep in the loop with the Lantica team.  Smiley

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Luc_Verlee

No personal text

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2004 at 4:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The postage stamp problem appears to be fixed.

Perhaps we missed something but we still cannot print via "Print Forms" at all.  What is the fix ? 

We are using the sample databases provided with the trial version.  After retrieving a record and "Results Command" "Print Forms" the only thing we get is the post stamp like outprint but WITHOUT any field values (all fields= blank)

How can we give a demo without being able to print. A lot of our clients are looking for a Q&A replacement just because of printing issues.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2004 at 4:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
I mean that is has been fixed and will be available in the next release of Sesame. That release ("1.0.1") will be online and on subsequent orders within the next few days.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged