Normal Topic Merge Print Database Records- Insert Merge Field ? (Read 536 times)
dcostanzo
Members

No personal text

Merge Print Database Records- Insert Merge Field ?
Jan 20th, 2004 at 3:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Lanticians, members

So Far  I have completed steps in the  "Wordmerge.doc"

Step1: Completed Batch file for word.bat
Step2 :Configured Seame Application for Merge Print
           Programed Element
     Changed vDatapath to c:\sesame\docs\esmibids1.txt
     Changed F arrays to field elements in *.db 
     Changed vSelectedDoc =@PopupMenu to a word document that I am trying to merge to (NYN30TD.doc)

Step3: Design Your Word Merge Documents 
design word doc to use it and insert your merge fields

" It appears that Step3 is in instruction numbers 5 -7 are very different  using Word 6.0 XP. I have used the Mail Merge Wizard. Opened data source to read c:\sesame\docs\esmbids1.txt
In Insert Merge Fields, none of my database elements are avail to pick from???

My question is how do you get your database elements to appear in the drop down menu for "Insert Merge Field" in Word 6.0 XP?

It does discuss at end of step2
"Having a header Line in the "data Source" file enables you to insert your merge fields in the Word document by field name. Without it, Word won't be able to provide ou with a  sensible "Insert Merge Field" list without having to do extra work"

How is a header line set up in a data source file? Or Does it need to changed to show your elements?

Can anyone offer any tips/instructions using XP Word for Merge Print?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dave Costanzo

IP Logged

dcostanzo
Members

No personal text

Re: Merge Print Database Records- Insert Merge Fie
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 4:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
I figured out what I have been doing wrong

I missed clicking on Field Name Header under Export Options. .  By doing this I then was able to see my elements in Word.

http://www.lantica.com/Support/sesamelibart24.html

In the ASCII Export options screen that appears, click Field Name Header, then type in a filename (it’s best to use a “,txt” filename extension) and location for the ASCII export file. Leave all the other settings at their defaults (comma separation, delimit strings, and double quote delimiter) and click Accept.

"A self derived answer-huh!"  Plain as day., but I hope this post helps anyone is  trying to merge fields and for those whom get intrupted all day while trying to complete simple tasks.

Regards,

Dave Costanzo

IP Logged