Normal Topic report with multiple databases (Read 1371 times)
FSGROUP

No personal text

report with multiple databases
Jan 20th, 2004 at 4:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
To create a report from multiple databases, is the only method for doing this creating several reports from each different database and merging them together with Word?

thanx

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: report with multiple databases
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 4:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
To create a report from multiple databases, is the only method for doing this creating several reports from each different database and merging them together with Word?

thanx

It depends on what you mean by this. If you are talking about combining several highly disparate reports into a single document, than using Word is probably your best bet.

If one of your databases is a subrecord of the other, you may be able to  use subreports. If you just need a few pieces of information from another database included on your Report, you can use @XLookup, etc, the same way you would in a Form.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

report with multiple databases(again)
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 4:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have several databases (none of which are subrecords of eachother) that contain different information, the only commonality between them being a client's ID.  However, I would like to combine all the data from the various databases for a particular client ID into one report directly into Word.  Is this possible?

Thank you.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 6:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
It sounds like generating the reports separately, then combining them using Word is your best bet for your particular needs.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 6:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika has a final say as she is an expert and probably the one designed the Report part of Sesame.

But I know one thing, that you can do practically anything with Q&A.  If you can do that in Q&A, you probably can do it in Sesame also and probably there is an easier way to do it in Sesame. 

If you just need data from a few elements from other database "derived" column will allow you to get those values in the report using X-family functions. How many derived columns can we have in Sesame? I do not know.

You can also make one layout with all different elements you need to have in the report. Use X-Family functions to get the values from the other applications, manupulate the data as you need to using programming in the form. All this can be automized and done on the fly using macro and Mass Update with all the programming done in Form Entry Event.  (In Q&A, it can be accomplished using one nested macro)

Then make out report based on this new layout and take it in MS Word from browser.

I am not upto speed with Sesame yet, but the principle is the same.  The question is, how often do you have to make this report?  If it is frequently and routinely, it is worth the effort.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 7:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Erika has a final say as she is an expert and probably the one designed the Report part of Sesame.

I'm one of the developers. There's a difference. Wink  When it comes to exploring Sesame's potential, you have the final say, not I.

If Q&A was any indication, Mark and I will soon be stunned and amazed by the things you people are making Sesame do. Grin

I have no doubt that I'll be seeing an article in Inside Sesame or on this Forum where one of you users is explaining how you managed to make Sesame do this very thing!

- Hammer
IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 10:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
so to clarify, in order to generate a single report from multiple databases, I will have to use XLookup to retrieve each field from the different DBs?

what if i have databases A and B where each DB contains a client ID. A contains the client's info such as name, address, etc and B contains the purchases a client has made.  can i use X-family commands to retrieve all the records from B on the condition that the IDs match between both tables?

thanx

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 1:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'd do it the other way around. Run the report on database B, becasue that's where most of the information is. Use XLookups to get the name and address from database A and put it on the report.

- Hammer
IP Logged