Normal Topic exporting multiple databases (Read 856 times)
FSGROUP

No personal text

exporting multiple databases
Jan 21st, 2004 at 8:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
is this possible in Sesame?

thanx

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: exporting multiple databases
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 8:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
It is only possible in a single export if there is a form/subform. What exactly are you trying to do?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 9:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am trying to translate an application from Q&A into Sesame, however the Q&A application was simply one huge and ugly database, where redundant field names existed.   For example, if a client had multiple insurance policies then there would exist fields such as PolicyNo1, PolicyType1, PolicyAmount1, PolicyNo2, PolicyType2, PolicyAmount2, etc.., which is a poor design. 

It makes sense to me to split this database into several databases: one for Client Info(address, name, etc), one for Policies(number, type, amount, etc), one for Children(name, DOB), etc..  Correct?

But the problem is that I cannot incorporate the various info from the databases together.  Say, I want to create a report where I can display all the children and policies belonging to a particular client.  A client can have several policies and children, so is there any way to combine the three databases, joining them by a client ID?   

Also, I would like to do a mail merge where (for example)I can display all the policies for a client and his birthday and address. How do I export data from multiple tables?

Maybe I'm missing something because there *should* be a method to combine data from several tables allowing me to create reports and whatnot without having one gigantic database and redundant fields?

Thanx a bunch

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 10:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
The way to combine these is to make the Policies and Children subrecords of the Client records. You can put subforms for Policies and Children on your Clients form. This will allow you to create Reports and Exports that incorporate the data from all three databases. Sesame is highly form-based. If you don't have a Form that shows the combined databases, then there is no mechanism to export the combined data.

If you don't want to do this, then you have to use more manual methods of combining the data yourself.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged