Normal Topic mail merge (Read 524 times)
FSGROUP

No personal text

mail merge
Jan 22nd, 2004 at 4:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
maybe i should be posting this question elsewhere, seeing as it is more related to Word, but here goes:

say my export file looks like this:
"ID", "ClientName", "ChildName"
1, "Bob", "Joe"
1, "Bob", "Kate"
2, "Bill", "Sam"

Is there a way that I can write a letter that will combine the first two rows(as they are belonging to the same client Bob)?

Ex:

Dear Bob,

Your children: Joe, Kate are blah blah blah...

Thank you.

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Re: mail merge
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 9:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
I would think that once the export file is generated, that there isn't much chance that the merge program (i.e. Word in your example) would be able to perform any combining of two or more rows of exported data. 

This might be better handled within Sesame, by modifying your application so that there would be a way to generate a single line in the export file that would contain something like:

1, "Bob", "Joe, Kate"

This would have to be done, I think - BEFORE the export file is generated.  Normally the export file is going to contain a single line per record.

In general terms, this would require that the ClientName record(s) have some way to indicate a specific identity, (be able to differentiate the "Bob's" so that the children get placed with the proper "Bob") and then have some way to concatenate (combine) the data in ChildName for specific "Bob's".

This sounds like a perfect example of a 1-to-many relationship, where you have a single ClientName record for a specific "Bob", and use a Sub-form on the record to contain the possible "many" values which would be the children.

Hope this gives you some help, and maybe some direction in changing your application.

IP Logged