Normal Topic QA Conversion Advice (Read 1201 times)
Duane

New at this, will have
many newbie questions!

QA Conversion Advice
Jan 23rd, 2004 at 1:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
We have decided to just convert the QA database, get them running, then go back and rework them piece by piece. 

I have one database in QA 4.0 DOS, which has two fields "Comments1" and "Comments2" that hold some additional information per client.  Eventually, most of the data will come out and go into its own field, but for conversion, I would like to combine both fields to one.  In anyones opinion, would it be easier to just manually, add the data (if any) from Comment2 to Comments1, then convert; or to convert then somehow merge the fields? 

I have not seen any way to merge fields without losing the data in QA or Sesame, unless I missed something.  Or is there an easier way to do this out of QA and Sesame?

Both fields are just text fields.  Total records is at 1800+, but at the most 50% have data in both fields.

Thanks,
Duane

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: QA Conversion Advice
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 1:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
I may have misunderstood your question but, If you have 2 fields 1 named comments1 and 1 named coments2 and you want to put them both into one field you can easily accomplish this by either adding a field to your QA database called allcomments and run a mass update something like allcoments = comments1 + “ “ + comments2 this would give you all your comments in 1 field. You could also do this without adding a new field and just update the existing comments1 but I think it is safer using the new field.

Once this is done you can translate your database into Sesame and have all the comments in 1 field.

Hope I answered your question. Smiley

The statement above is:
(Allcoments the equal sign Comments1 the plus sign double quote space double quote the plus sign comments2) this takes comments1 adds a space to the end and adds comments2 to it and places it all in the field allcomments)

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Duane

New at this, will have
many newbie questions!

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 2:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Not sure I'm doing this right but getting invalid response.  Comments1 is #11, Comments2 is #12, and added Allcomments as #10 in the programming specs.  Went to mass updated and in the update spec I put the following:  #10 = #11 + #12 :  is this correct or does the &#8220 need to be in there. 

Sorry, new to this programming thing.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 2:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
#10 = #11 + #12 :  is this correct or does the “ need to be in there. 

Sorry, new to this programming thing.

#10 = #11 then the +  sign then a double quote the a space then  another  double quote then  the +sign then  #12

The double quote space double quote adds the needed space between number 11 data and number 12s.

Do not feel bad we are all learning and everyone starts at the beginning. Smiley

PS  you will need #10: then your #10 = #11 yada yada stuff

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Duane

New at this, will have
many newbie questions!

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 2:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Worked perfectly, Once I figured I could number them in the Mass Update Spec, not the programming spec.

THANK YOU !!!!!

IP Logged