Normal Topic Q&A Translation  - A novice's experience (Read 1443 times)
Jax

Q&A Translation  - A novice's experience
Jan 25th, 2004 at 9:39am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi

I just wanted to share with you all, my experience of translating my Q&A database.  I am a complete novice although I have to admit that Q&A has been part of my life for many years as my husband has earned his living from it as a consultant.  However I have been a USER rather than a programmer.

I have only ever designed one Q&A database in my life. It is a simple personal address book type of thing with a keyword field and a notes field etc, but not exactly rocket science.  

Anyway, we now have Sesame and so I thought that I would try to translate the database all on my own (my in-house consultant wasn't available).  I was encouraged by what I have read on this forum that by translating it would in no way harm the QA database....so nothing to lose.

I went through the translation guide, ignoring the bits I didn't understand (which related to programming, having never done any), and completed the translation!  It was painless and quick and I was amazed!  I realise that many people have very complicated programming in their databases so they probably have to spend quite a bit of time making sure their databases are Sesame friendly, but isn't it amazing that this translation feature exists at all?

The guide warned me that the translated database would look a bit small so I then started to investigate how to make it look a little more attractive.  

I remembered that TJcajun had posted a reference to Gordon Meigs article in the first edition of Inside Sesame the title of the article is "The 20-minute Q&A Post-Translation Makeover"  Gordon explains the basic steps very simply and I am delighted with my results .  Thanks Gordon!  It really is very quick and easy.  

I am astonished by what I can do with Property Editor and hope to have a lot more fun with it.  You never know, I may even get on to some of the more serious stuff you folks are talking about!

Jax
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2004 at 3:26pm by Jax »  

IP Logged

JJuarez

No personal text

Re: Q&A Translation  - A novice's experience
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 5:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Do I read all of this correct?
You will be trying to get rid of your
"Inhouse Consultant" in the near future  Smiley  Wink  Grin

IP Logged