Normal Topic Goto doesn't work (Read 854 times)
saw_germany

KISS (Keep it short and
simple)

Goto doesn't work
Jan 26th, 2004 at 2:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Maybe nobody will believe me, but I'm telling the truth! Very familiar wir Q&A I can't understand why the following doesn't  work:

A data entry form with 3 element, lets say T1, T2 and T3 (All text variables).

On elemt exit T1:
IF (T1 = "No") then {goto T3} works as exspected. But: 
IF (T1 = "No") then {goto T1}  doesn't work!

Please, tell me why?

Kind regards from the first Sesame user in Germany
Wink

IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Re: Goto doesn't work
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 5:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am not sure why it does not work. I have tried it in Sesame and it does not work. It worked in Q&A.

The ability to send someone back to the field they are in because they did not enter the data properly is a great feature of Q&A. I hope that the folks at Seasame feel the same and can give us some answers about this or how to program what we want to happen here.

Frederick Henderson*Radio HRGS*Roatan*Bay Islands*Honduras

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 8:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The ability to send someone back to the field they are in because they did not enter the data properly is a great feature of Q&A. I hope that the folks at Seasame feel the same and can give us some answers about this or how to program what we want to happen here.

Obviously Mark or Erika did not respond to this and said it's a bug and will be fixed in version 1.01, so I believe it is by design. Let us ponder, why did they choose to have it like as it is.

Q&A works differently,  when going in reverse by it does not execute the code that are placed for On Element Exit event.  In Sesame, regardless of where you go, code is going to be executed.  If you do not know exact value it is looking for or there is a little programming error and you are stuck.  You cannot go backward or forward.  Only way out is <escape>.  Call the developer, he is not in the office and the whole office operation has come to halt. In Sesame, instead to using @msg, use @msgbox and it will give you audio-visual detailed message, you just cannot miss it unless you want to avoid it to tide over some time.

In Q&A , we have various red-flags pops up (such as duplicate value in Unique Index field), but you can always override it, so as not to interfere with the ongoing work.  Because of this reason, in Sesame, there are Voluntary Restrictions and Mandatory Restrictions.  If you are that bent upon not saving the record without proper information, you can alway place that in Mandatory restriction or even better, NotifyForm() command so, you cannot save the record without that info and give eleborate message and use Navigational command on Exit Form Event to take you to the element data in question.

In Q&A, we used goto command practically in all fields, when it was not needed, we placed cnext. Sesame works a little differently, try to use navigation command in all elements and your mouse is totally useless.  Whatever little I have tried to program, I have realized that you are better off using as few Navigational command (goto commands) as possible. Goto commands hamper the use of Mouse.

Some input from a lantican in this regards will be helpful.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 8:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry, it is a bug. It is fixed and will be released with 1.0.2.

However, everything else you said was true and good advice.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged