Normal Topic Programing after Conversion (Read 685 times)
Duane

New at this, will have
many newbie questions!

Programing after Conversion
Jan 27th, 2004 at 3:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Got 2 questions...

1) I have converted two databases that we currently use.  The first one "BuilderCodes" had no programing and was done perfectly.  The only thing I noticed is the date format is yyyy/mm/dd.  How can I change this to mm/dd/yyyy?

2) The second database I converted was "Permits".  This database has xlookup statements to "BuilderCodes".  The databases right now are currently under seperate applications, and in the near future, I would like to merge them and some other db's to one application.  How does the syntax for xlookup work with a db in another application, what changes will need to be made when they are merged, and if what I've seen, just calls the db, do all field names in the application need to be unique or can two db's in one application have fields that are the same name.  ie field names are unique to the db, but not the application?

Thanks,
Duane

Still learning, but getting easier as the hours tick by!!!! Grin

IP Logged

Duane

New at this, will have
many newbie questions!

Re: Programing after Conversion
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 4:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Nevermind about the date problem in question 1.  The field type was set to Text, I changed it to Date and the problem resolved itself.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 4:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Duane,

I believe the fields are unique per database not per application.

It is my understanding that the xlookup uses the form name followed by a bang ! Symbol followed by the element name to specify the element you are working with.

So to clarify I think Sesame differentiates between 2 elements named FirstName in separate databases in the same application because one is formname1!FirstName and the other would be formname2!FirstName

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Duane

New at this, will have
many newbie questions!

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 5:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Scary, after posting, kept on reading an most of the answers were in the book.  Need to look first I guess.  But yes, it looks like the xlookup does to either external db, or to a form, so the names in different database could be the same.  Haven't tried it yet to verify, but hopefully by the end of the week.

IP Logged