Normal Topic Sesame-database on your website? (Read 2136 times)
johnpieters

Holland Europe

Sesame-database on your website?
Dec 25th, 2003 at 10:19am
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame-database on your website?

Is it possible to place a sesame-database on a website-server?

Or

Only the   HTML-page's?

I've not found it in the user guide.

John

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sesame-database on your website?
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2003 at 11:30am
Print Post Print Post  
You can run a Sesame server through the internet so long as the web server is running either a Win32 or Linux for Intel OS. Clients running a Sesame client can then connect to it much as they would connect to a server on your local network.

If your web server is called www.MyExampleWebServer.com, kick off the server with:

sesame -server www.MyExampleWebServer.com

To connect with a Sesame client:

sesame -client www.MyExampleWebServer.com

Depending on what is already running on your web server, you may have to specify the port numbers. It is likely that you may have to have root or administrative permission to start the server. Almost certainly you will want to let the admin know that you have opened a couple of ports on the server machine.

You cannot connect to the Sssame server directly with a web browser. That would require a CGI interface. If there is demand and Lantica marketing gives the thumbs up, we would like to release a Sesame CGI interface that would allow a direct web browser connection to the Sesame engine - as though the web browser was a Sesame client.

In the meantime, the Sesame Report Writer directly produces HTML web pages which can be mounted (even in real time) on a web server and directly accessed by a web browser through the internet.  In other words you can generate reports in a directory that is publicly addressable as web pages.

It may well, also be possible to contrrol a Sesame server from a web page by using the the File I/O commands in SBasic. How that would be done is dependant on your particular application - but given that you can create a file from CGI/PHP - and that Sesame can read that file and produce a web page in response (via file I/O or report writer) - it is certainly a possibility.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 4:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I for one would be interested in a CGI interface or a PHP one. How will Lantica marketing determine if there is a demand?

Thanks for your help!

Frederick Henderson*Radio HRGS*Roatan*Bay Islands*Honduras

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 6:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
We know that there is a demand and it's on our "to do" list.  Wink

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

paulh

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 7:29am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Lantican and fellow members

On the issue of websites - there is not much documented in the Sesame literature on linking with websites other then running sesame through a website as is described above and some information on printing to html files.

There is mention in the user manual that should a Sesame field contain "hyperlink" and a report is printed to html then that hyperlink will appear on the htm file.

I am most likely still doing something wrong, but I can't seem to get that to functionas I want.

In short what I am trying to achieve is the following:-

I have setup a database with a subform - my main database will only have about 40 odd records, which I will "print" to specific html file and  to which I have already created hyperlinks in my webpage - My wish is to keep adding more information on the subform each which contains a hyperlink to a specific webpage.
Once I have captured the data, I use a macro to print the document to html and name it appropriately - This aspect works perfectly except for the fact that the URL is shown but not as a hyper link - this I need for visitors on my website to click on to take them to a more detailed page on my website.

I also tried the approach of used a table report, but still no hyperlink on my html file.

I did this in the past with Q&A by creating 40 very lenthly reports which also added the html coding and then running a macro to update the html files when data has changed.

Any idea as to how I can print my html forms to include these hyperlinks - Ideally just printing the record with its sub-form is the easiest and less painfull.

thanks for a wonderful forum - I have really picked up some excellent tips here

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 2:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
if the field name that contains the name of the HTML file is named "hyperlink" then the code would look something like the following:

In a layout Element On Print

hyperlink = "<A HREF=""" + hyperlink + """>" + hyperlink + "</A>"

now you may have to change this code around to meet your needs but this is how to create a link in a Sesame Report

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

paulh

No personal text

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 3:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Grin   Thanks for your help there Ray - I did a basic test on that and it works spot on in a report.

I have however tried the same thing by just printing the record to html but that does not give me the same effect.

My hyperlink field end up <A HREF =  and does not show the rest - this is obviously because of the inverted comma's { " } ending the statement confuses the html code somewhat. The reason I am trying this method is because it makes it much easier to use my database with a subform,  but with a bit of effort I am sure I can also do what I need to with reports

thanks again

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 7:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
yes the Double Quotes would be giving Sesame a Probelm because it would be seeing them as an end to a HTML Value Statment. Can it be done yes, is it going to take some time yes, is it going to be ugly if you print to anything other than HTML, more than likely yes.

I have done it, in Countries.db in the field Capital, but what you have to put in the field itself is quite ugly, becuase you have to write HTML in one of your fields.
Would it be easier, and much more Data Entry friendly to build a report that looks nice and has the same functionality, you betcha.

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 9:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Given that the inverted quotes are taken care of, creating a fully qualified URL link may well be done using SBasic from within the report or the "source" form. That way it doesn't have to appear in a field.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged