Normal Topic Sesame, ODBC and OpenOffice (Read 2245 times)
rgillies

No personal text

Sesame, ODBC and OpenOffice
Jan 8th, 2004 at 2:12am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi

I have been messing around with Sesame (arrived this morning) and was experimenting with ODBC and OpenOffice.

I have successfully configured ODBC connections for OpenOffice 1.0 previously and following the instructions on pages 274-276 installed an ODBC connection for Sesame.

When I tried to connect to the sample customer database using the OpenOffice data source I could see the basic outline of the database but any attempt to examine the database in tabular format generated the message: "The data content could not be loaded" "Invalid descripton index"

First, has anyone else tried Sesame, ODBC and OpenOffice  or am I rattling down untried roads?

Second, if anyone has tried this, any observations?

No looking for instant solutions, more experimenting to see what happens

BTW running on M$ XP.

Ron Gillies

IP Logged

Don Newlin

No personal text

Re: Sesame, ODBC and OpenOffice
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2004 at 11:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm also having trouble getting the ODBC to connect.  It seems to find the Data Source but can't open the file.

Using Word 2000 on Win2K machine, the query gives the following error:    "Connection to Sesame server failed.  Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed. Couldn't read this file"

Using WordPerfect 9 on a WinXP machine It performs the ODBC select Data Source, but gives the following error when trying to Select Records:

"Lantica,Inc Sesame ODBC Driver ISAM Table CHEQUES doesn't exist"

I can access the data source using the SESAME Client so not sure what is happening

Don Newlin

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 11:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have tried using ODBC from Access with no success.

Set up ODBC definition to the customers.db. in the Samples folder.  Full Path is correct.  Installation of ODBC appeared to be OK, same as many other ODBC connections I had previously installed for other products.

Started Sesame -server machine_name (no port).  (Database is on same machine).

Opened Access, and tried to link to the Customers application.  The ODBC connection showed up OK, I selected the Sesame ODBC connection to Customers, and Access froze. 

Sesame server window did not change when Access tried to connect.  Connection count stayed at 0.

Modified ODBC defintion to include port 20000:20001,
ended up with same results. 

Access is hung, needs CTL-ALT-DEL to Stop program.  No error messages.  Sesame server cannot shut down, needs CTL-ALT-DEL to Stop Sesame Server.

Using WIN98SE, Access 97.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 9:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame Version 1.0.1 does not include ODBC files.  Separate ODBC files for download are for version 1.0

1.  Does that mean that ODBC files will be maintained with their own version ID?
2.  Does that mean that when Sesame was upgraded to 1.0.1 that no changes were necessary in the ODBC folder, or do they also need to be updated?

I am curious about the answer to those questions, but tried all variations anyway to get a jump on this.

I tried using ODBC original version 1 files with Sesame version 1.0.1 with same bad results as earlier posting above.

I installed the new ODBC files (also version 1.0) with Sesame version 1.0.1 with same results as above.

Am I the only one having trouble with ODBC?  Cannot make a connection, Access hangs, needs to be forced closed from Task Manager.

Have tried four combinations on WIN98SE, WIN98ME, Access 97, 2000.  Have used replacement copies for ODBC folder files in case originals or downloads were damaged, same bad results.

Suggestions are necessary and welcome.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 10:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
There is going to be an update for ODBC shortly. The ODBC driver is an entirely separate development with its own release cycle.

The driver you have will not work with the current server. I have found and fixed the problem, and the fix will be in the next release of the ODBC driver.

I will try to get the update for the ODBC driver on the download page within the next two days. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 10:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob -

Have you looked into the alternatives to ODBC?  Like exporting (via a macro?) and the WordMerge utility?  Wordmerge is easier to set up than ODBC, it can be run on a standalone setup rather than only on a network, and is not so fussy about operating systems, versions of Microsoft Office etc.

Alec
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 12:18am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the suggestions Alec, but I really am looking for links not imports.  I currently have to do exports with Q&A at night to refresh some tables.

I currently have tables that link data from Q&A, Access, QuickBooks, FoxPro, allowing me to generate my own queries, forms, reports, merging all data form one source while allowing current users to continue to use their own databases for data entry/maintenance.  I have been waiting for the ODBC to Sesame so that I could integrate Sesame into these applications and eliminate the import process.

I was also expecting Sesame to have the ability to use ODBC to link to other database applications.  Disappointed right now, but I am sure this will be coming in Version 2 (hint, hint).

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 12:23am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark, glad to hear it is coming.  

For the record, I also was unable to make the ODBC connection with Word 2000, WIN98ME.  MS Query just hung and had to force Word to shut down.  Unlike others, I saw no error messages.

Looking forward to the solution, thanks for the help.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged