Normal Topic Naming and Application & System structure (Read 1038 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Naming and Application & System structure
Jan 18th, 2004 at 4:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
When we translate QA database file to Sesame- Application, Database and main form are given the same name, the same as QA database name. As such in Sesame all three could have different names. Database presents itself as a folder in which forms are located. One application can have multiple databases and one database can have multiple forms. If you wish to have a subform, the related databases should be in the same application. Sesame also gives you a tool to merge applications if one needs. This is my broad understanding.

I have about thirty different database files in QA that interacts with each other by X-family functions and make an office management system. What are the advantages of merging the applications?  If you want to open a form within a form using @SelectTreeItem, it assumes that both items belong to the same application (on the same existing tree displayed on the left)  and that would limit your interaction if you choose to keep all different QA database files as separate applications. But on the other hand if you merge the applications, the tree becomes very big and chaotic.  Does it change any programming syntax if I choose to keep all of them as separate applications? Sorry for my disjointed thoughts and rambling but I am thinking as I write.

I would like to have feedback as to how to structure a system (a little broader term than Sesame Application). Should I merge applications? Should I keep them separate?

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Naming and Application & System structure
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 7:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Please.... I would like to have feedback about advantages and disadvantages of merging different database files that are translated from QA databases in a single Sesame applications.

The question is other than subform type of application, is there any advantage or need really to merge different applications translated from QA database? Thank you.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 7:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat,

This is an excellent question which requires more than a quick two sentence answer.  Your question covers a level of general system design decision that applies to any database management program, not just Sesame.

Give us a liitle time to write up a good and thorough answer for you and for others who may have the same question.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
There is no hard and fast answer.  Generally you should put into the same application databases that go together, that link to each other and exchange data.

The advantages?  Well one is that XLookups, and X family commands in general, will be much MUCH faster. The syntax is not simplified though, as you might expect.

You can also have macros that use the databases within the application.

Databases that have nothing to do with each other are best put in separate application files.

Alec
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 9:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you very much for your feedback.  More discussion and brain-storming on this topic will be helpful to many people using Sesame. 

If one merges databases, I believe, it becomes bigger and more complex application. How does it affect the recovery of database and data in case of corruption? Unfortunate database corruption is the fact of life. Question is not if but when? And at this time  backup is the only means of protection we have. I might be putting cart before the horse here but then well thought out planning and sound foundation is essential for developing any data management system.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 12:58am
Print Post Print Post  
Now we all have a little better handle on how Sesame works. Well, to the extent to realize advantages and disadvantages of mergeing the databases in single application.

Automization will be very difficult if we have to work with separate applications. X-family commands are excruciatingly slow as compared to internal lookup. You would not be able to view different layouts unless you use @shell out and enter your password every time. If you are working in the same application, @selectTreeItem and many other programming commands will open up work on forms through programming. Even the simple commands of copy records are not possible unless you have databases and layouts in the same application.  Automization with either programming or Macro will be difficult if not impossible. Programming is not even applicable unless you are inside layout form.

It seems that more than likely we will end up putting majority of databases (and forms) in a single application. How big is the main application going to be? If anything will go wrong, what will we be able to salvage? Is there any other protection than regular backups. Well, Backups should not be that difficult if we have perform that on a few applications.

I would like to have your opinion before I start bundling many applications into one.  Thanks.

IP Logged