Normal Topic a few qustions (Read 1058 times)
gamedad

No personal text

a few qustions
Jan 28th, 2004 at 5:31am
Print Post Print Post  
I am trying to set up a simple Invoice form to lookup & print copies of invoices created in Q&A.  I deleted all the programming before I translated it to Sesame.  I have a couple questions. 

When I am at the search screen typing my search spec into a field as the courser moves it leaves a vertical insertion line after each character. (│S│m│i│t│h│) Kind of like this but overlapped.  The only way to get them to leave is to change focus to another field.  It makes it difficult to see what you have typed until you do.

When I print a record the field that was the one focused in when the print command was selected prints with a box around the field.

I have a quantity field.  Many of my quantities are 1.  If I format the element with zero decimal places the fields with a quantity of 1 don’t show any value, on the monitor or on the printout..  If I change the format to 1 decimal place they display as 1.0.

winXPhome

I haven’t had to do any programming since the upgrade to Q&A5 many years ago.  I am taking it slow with Seasame.  I can’t wait to fully develop & program my application. 

Thanks

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: a few qustions
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 7:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
When I am at the search screen typing my search spec into a field as the courser moves it leaves a vertical insertion line after each character. (│S│m│i│t│h│) Kind of like this but overlapped.  The only way to get them to leave is to change focus to another field.  It makes it difficult to see what you have typed until you do.

Does this happen in every layout element, or is it limited to certain ones? Above you said that it happens in search mode, does it also happen in add / update mode?

Quote:

When I print a record the field that was the one focused in when the print command was selected prints with a box around the field.

This is normal behavior. Sesame tries to print as close an approximation to the form as it can. The form draws a box around the element selected in the Spec Handler (bottom right pane, under the command tree). When printing a form, Sesame draws the form using the same routine it uses to draw the form on your screen - so both end up "boxing" the selected LE.

Quote:
I have a quantity field.  Many of my quantities are 1.  If I format the element with zero decimal places the fields with a quantity of 1 don’t show any value, on the monitor or on the printout..  If I change the format to 1 decimal place they display as 1.0.

Is it possible that this is related to the cursor? Is the cursor so close to the numeric one ("1") that it obscures it? Try moving the cursor out of that field, minimizing Sesame and then maximize it again (forcing a redraw). If that cause the "1" to reappear, it is likely that the cursor is obscuring it - so if we solve the first problem we may well also be solving the second.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

gamedad

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 1:19am
Print Post Print Post  
I changed the size and position slightly on my qty. layout items and now the ones show up.  I am still having the problem with the insertion bars when I am entering text.  They happen in search and add modes.  I tried the sample customer app. no bars.  I redesiegend a  form from a saved copy of my Q&A database, same problem.   I have tried other fonts didn't help.  These are redeseigns of the original invoice forms not forms created from scratch.  Thats my next step and I'll try my computer at work.  If you have any suggestions let my know.  I'll let you know if I make any progress.
Thanks
Richard

IP Logged

gamedad

No personal text

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 1:47am
Print Post Print Post  
I created a new form, no lagging insertion bars.  Same Q&A database. I only used about 8 of the 60+ fields.  I guess I will just Make all of my forms from scratch.  A little more time consuming but not much.  If you find an answer let me know.
Thanks
Richard

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 1:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can you tell me a little about the original Q&A database? What version of Q&A was used (4.0 / 5.0 DOS, Q&A for Windows)? Did you get any errors on the translation?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

gamedad

No personal text

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 6:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
I created the database in 1991.  I think it was Q&A 2.0 for dos at the time.  It was upgraded with each upgrade of Q&A up to Q&A5.0.  I tried it on my older work computer.  It has Win98.  No problem on that computer.  I downloaded and installed new video drivers for my Radeon 9700 video card on my XP computer.  I went through all the steps in the translation guide before translating.  I did have some errors in the log..  I had a field named date.  I had some named with a number. I didn't change them before translating.  I also had some cross tab report errors.  Some of my fields had improperly formated entries even though I searched every field in Q&A5 for them before I translated. I have had that problem with Q&A5 before.  To correct them I would do a search and then sort on the suspect field.  The improperly formated entries usualy show up at the first or last records.  I didn't do that before translating.  Next time I'll try it first.
Thanks
Richard

IP Logged

gamedad

No personal text

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 7:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
I just copied the files from my home pc to my store computer on my usb thump drive.  Now I get the insertion bars on the win 98 computer.  I must have done something wrong somewhere.  I'll try a fresh copy of the data base at home and redesigning the invoice form.  In playing with designer I may have something hidden under the form or some other goof up.  I appreciate all you hard work.  I'll play with it tonight.
Thanks
Richard

IP Logged