Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Selection box (Read 7106 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Selection box
Reply #30 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 3:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark, it still does not work with space without putting @chr (1) in var v_start for the search for the whole word which is followed by a space.

"Blue" would not pull up Blue Cross

Bl  will list everything starting with Bl.

Darn it! you are right. I fixed it, then commented the fix out so I could test the work-around (adding @chr(1)), and didn't get the fix back in in time for testing. My mistake. It'll be in 1.0.2 - you are right.

Very sorry.

Please note that I went back and modified my example to Bill to reflect this change.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

billgordon

No personal text

Reply #31 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 10:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark Lasersohn,

I can not speak for Bill but I sure liked your step by step explanation. Thanks Cheesy

Yes I am happy. The example is just my speed. I have the selection working now but I am having the same problem Bob described of not having the data from the selection box go to my field.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #32 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 10:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Could either Bill Gordon or Bob Scott please post your @XUserSelect statements?

I have:

aa = @XUserSelect(@fn, "Main Form!City", "City", v_start, v_end)

in my "merged" Gems and Customers application, running from the GemTypes form and selecting from the Customers form ("Main Form"). Values are being returned nicely.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #33 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 10:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is what I have. I pretty much just copied yours and Bharats examples. Thanks

var v_result as string
var v_start as string
var v_end as string

v_start = eventphysican

v_end = v_start + "zzzzzzzz"
v_start = v_start + @chr(1)

v_result = @XUserSelectR(@fn, "physicians!last", "first", v_start, v_end)

eventphysican = v_result 

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #34 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 11:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

In your case if you change:

v_result = @XUserSelectR(@fn, "physicians!last", "first", v_start, v_end)

to:

v_result = @XUserSelectR(@fn, "physicians!last", "PhysFirst", v_start, v_end)

It will start working. The "source" argument wants to be the "Field Name" not the "Layout Element Name". So if you look to see what the "data source" is for that LE - that will be the name you want.

Explanation: Because an external database does not have a form open, and any one field may appear on multiple forms as the data source of different LEs, which may or may not share names, we can't know which LE name was intended.

BTW: This is something that may change in a near future release.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #35 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 11:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks once again!  Smiley

It works like a charm.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #36 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 6:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there a recommended method of creating a multi column selection list or pick list?

What I mean by multi column selection list is the ability to display multiple columns.

In the selection list example followed in previous posts we successfully created a selection list showing last names from another database. The problem here is there could be more then one Smith. So the selection box could display the last name plus the city and state so a user can select the correct one.

I could create a field in the external database that would be made up of name + city + state to use as the selection field but I thought there might be a better method using Arrays or ?? that Sesame has to offer.  Any Suggestions?

What I mean by multi column pick list is the ability to display multiple columns
And return multiple columns. Say we have a selection list for line items. We search on a field called category. The selection list brings up the item number, price, desc, etc. when a selection is made it returns many of the values to the correct fields.

Once again I could have a field in my line items database that is  item number + price + desc, etc and then have it return a key number and then have xlookups run that fill each field but is there a better way?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #37 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 7:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob, I understand exactly why it is so important. As a matter of fact, I asked the same question in the following link.

http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gen_disc;action=display...

Quote:
I did not use Q&A 5 (used QA4), so I am not familiar with XuserselectR commands or functions, but from whatever you have described, it seems to be very useful for data entry.       Is there anyway it can display more than one columns of data with Sesame using XUSR command or function but it selects the data from one specified column only, in the data field you are working on?

Thanks to all of you for sharing your expertise with this novice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print