Normal Topic Copy Form/Database (Read 1457 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Copy Form/Database
Jan 4th, 2004 at 2:58am
Print Post Print Post  
What method can be used to copy one or more forms/databases/reports to another application?

It would not be unusual to have multiple accounts with similar needs.  Rather than reinventing the wheel, it would be convenient to  use modules from existing applications to incorporate into new ones.

Since an application can typically consist of multiple databases, forms, etc. what can be done to selectively choose certain databases, forms, reports, etc. to add into a different application.

In Q&A we could Copy Design on any/all databases, rename them, group them together, and have a new application to be modified.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Re: Copy Form/Database
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 1:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
What method can be used to copy one or more forms/databases/reports to another application?

It is the case that Sesame 1.0 does not have a comprehensive set of tools to copy parts of an application between applications.  You can however copy a whole application into another one. This is by opening one application, then selecting Merge Application from the Application Utilities menu.  This copies all databases, forms, reports.  You can copy forms & reports within a database using Layout Manager.

Quote:
In Q&A we could Copy Design on any/all databases, rename them, group them together, and have a new application to be modified.

The implication is that Sesame does less than Q&A. This is not the case. 

You can copy databases between Sesame applications using the Merge facility mentioned above. You can copy databases selectively by merging a whole application and then using Database Manager to delete any databases you don't want. You can copy design only by merging and then using the Delete all Data Records command on the Application menu

You can rename databases in Database Manager.
You can "Group them together" in Sesame more effectively than you can in Q&A - by putting them into the same application. The only way you can "Group them together" in Q&A is by linking them with XLookups and XPost. These still work in Sesame.

What you Can't do is copy forms and reports between databases.  But you can't do that with Q&A either.

Alec
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 8:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
You can however copy a whole application into another one. This is by opening one application, then selecting Merge Application from the Application Utilities menu. .......

You can copy databases between Sesame applications using the Merge facility mentioned above. You can copy databases selectively by merging a whole application and then using Database Manager to delete any databases you don't want........

You can copy design only by merging and then using the Delete all Data Records command on the Application menu

You can rename databases in Database Manager.
You can "Group them together" in Sesame more effectively than you can in Q&A - by putting them into the same application.

Great answers Alec.  Will try to check them out in the next few days.

Quote:
The implication is that Sesame does less than Q&A. This is not the case.

No implication intended.  Just trying to get a handle on traditional Q&A tools that are not easily found yet.  Trying to shortcut the learning curve.  The topic submitted was a question on "how to ?", not a criticism.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

josebetzy

Hmmm. How? Cómo?

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 3:59am
Print Post Print Post  
I tried to merge applications but got message that it could not merge because both files had passwords, and stopped. Perhaps it should have asked me to enter the password to complete the process.

My question is do I have to eliminate all passwords to merge, then add again the passwords?

Jose L. Muñoz

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 1:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I tried to merge applications but got message that it could not merge because both files had passwords, and stopped. Perhaps it should have asked me to enter the password to complete the process.

My question is do I have to eliminate all passwords to merge, then add again the passwords?

No, but you will have to remove security from one of them - not both. The idea is that one of the databases "accepts" the security from the other.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 1:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:

It's not a question of needing a password for permission to merge. The problem is that we can't effectively merge security. The settings may conflict. The may be duplicated users with different permissions. There are a number of decisions that we (speaking as Sesame) don't have enough information to make, and to have the user make them would require an endless series of questions and dialog boxes.

You should leave the Security on the main application and remove security from the application you are merging in.  Once the merge is complete, you can then assign the correct permissions to the newly merged items.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bobbi

No personal text

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 3:11am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
...using Database Manager to delete any databases you don't want.

Alec,

Is there a problem with trying to delete a database that's at a lower level than others in the application?  I have an application that looks like this:

Database 1
      Form
      Database 2
             Form
Database 3
      Form

All 3 of the databases have an evelope icon in front of them in Designer.  I want to use Database 2 as a subform on Database 1 and understand that they must be at the same level to be able to do this.  Is there a way I can move Database 2 to the same level as the others?  If not, how do I delete it.  When I try to delete a database only Database 1 and 3 are offered as selections for deletion.

Thanks

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 5:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
..Is there a problem with trying to delete a database that's at a lower level than others in the application? ...

...  Is there a way I can move Database 2 to the same level as the others?  If not, how do I delete it.   

Hi Bobbi -

You're asking two questions here - I'll answer them both.

You can delete any database in Field Manager...

1. In Designer go to Manage a Database
2. Select the database you want to delete
3. Select Manage Fields.
4. From the 'Action' dropdown select "Delete Database"
(there are no further options for this action).
5. Click on "Add Transaction to Batch".
6. Click on "Run Batch".
7. Confirm that you want to delete the entire database and kiss goodbye to all the forms, data etc in it.

BUT.. what you really want to do is to re-parent the subform/sub-database.  Yes you can do this too.  
I'll use as an example the COUNTRIES application.

This consists of two databases, COUNTRIES & CITIES. Cities is shown as a subform on the Countries form. So Cities is a sub-database or child database of Countries. You can see this because it is indented under Countries wherever you see them in a menu tree. What you want to do is to remove this parent-child relationship between them.
In Sesame, you do this the same way you created that relationship in the first place - by manipulating subforms.  You created the relationship by adding the Cities form as a subform onto the Countries form. To break that relationship you delete the subform "field" in Countries.  These are the steps

1. Open Designer.
2. Open the file SAMPLES \ COUNTRIES.DB
3. Specify the new DSR file UNPARENT.DSR
4. Go to Manage a Database
5. Select the database COUNTRIES
6. Select Manage Fields.
7. From the 'Action' dropdown select "Delete Field"
8. From the Field Name dropdown Select the field "Cities Subform"
9. Click on "Add Transaction to Batch".
 You are told, in red...
 "The Subform Layout Element bound to this Field will be deleted from its parent form"
10. Click on "Run Batch".
11. Close.

You will now see that Cities and Countries are now on the same level. You can use it now as a subform on any form based on a database at the same level.  You will also see there is a blank area on the Countries form where the Cities subform was.

Alec
IP Logged