Normal Topic Using an Image as a form (Read 663 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Using an Image as a form
Feb 2nd, 2004 at 11:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
I need to have data filled into a form. It  is used to evaluate the data and  It is easiest for the users if the form looks exactly like the original paper form they are used to reviewing.

My original thought was to scan a blank form then use the image as a background and add elements into each field on the form. I could then populate the fields many different ways.

The problem I am having is the quality of the image looks really poor after I have stretched and pulled it to be a workable size on the screen. it is a standard 8.5 x 11. It would be acceptable if a user has to scroll up and down.

Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on how I can best accomplish this goal?

All suggestions appreciated Cheesy

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Using an Image as a form
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 10:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well without any other great options for improving my scanning or graphic capabilities I decided to go low tech and just draw the form on the canvas, and add my elements. It is amazing how good you can become at drawing using Static text, pictures, lines, boxes, fonts and the color palette in Sdesigner. This approach might even have worked out to my advantage. Though it is a much slower process the results are a form that resembles the original paper form but is scaled larger and allows for much more ease of use.

PS. Lanticans,

When I originally saw the color palette with the options default, fancy, form and custom I did not give it a moments notice. I am sure glad you guys and gals did. The form palette is a lifesaver and custom lets the artist in us sneak out. Grin

Thanks

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 11:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob, it sounds like you got a solution you like, so this might be moot. Going back to using an image as the background, did you make every effort to make sure that the form-image kept the same aspect ratio when you were resizing it? That should prevent a lot of the scaling artifacts resizing can cause.

If you do decide to give it another try - keep me posted. I am very interested in how it turns out.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 11:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have other forms I am still playing with using an image. I just wanted to make sure I had some method to fall back on to accomplish this task. Now that I know I can do it with creating the screen the pressure is off and I can work on the image method with a clear mind.

IP Logged