Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Updated ODBC driver (Read 3344 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Updated ODBC driver
Feb 3rd, 2004 at 5:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
An updated ODBC driver is now available on the downloads page:

http://www.lantica.com/Support/downloads.html

If you have previously installed the Sesame ODBC driver, you must delete any existing sesodbc.dll files from your system before installing the update. On a Windows 2000 system, this file will be in the C:\WINNT\system32 directory.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Updated ODBC driver
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 7:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
The ODBC driver isn't installed by default in any release of Sesame. So unless you installed it using the ODBC driver setup program earlier, you won't have a sesodbc.dll on your system.

When you download and unzip the .zip file for the ODBC driver, it will create a directory called Setup32. You can allow unzip to place that in any convenient folder/directory. Inside the Setup32 directory there is an executable called "setup.exe" - it does the actual ODBC driver installation.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 7:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for new file Mark.

Suggest updating the download page to show the ODBC latest version. 

Without knowing about this forum message, a user going to that page would not know that the ODBC is now a new version, the page only references the current Sesame version. 

Will a change log also be created for ODBC? Sample result is shown here:

Current Sesame ODBC Version: v?.? ? ? ?
Release Date: Feb 03, 2004
View Change Log

Thanks again.....

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 8:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, future updates will have more version info attached to the download page and the file itself. I'm going to update the work-arounds page to reflect the new release. Certainly, any version that has significant feature changes will be accompanied by a description of the change. This release contains only the single bug fix in the connection protocol, and no other changes.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 6:06am
Print Post Print Post  
Quick update.....ODBC 1.0.1 still not working in Access or Word.  Both apps get hung up trying to make the connection.

Removed old dll before installation (7/04/00), left over from some beta testing?.  But that was after installation of ODBC version 1.0.0 

Installed ODBC version 1.0.1  Date of newly installed dll was same date as old dll (7/04/00) that was removed! 

Manually copied new dll (1/27/04) from Setup32 folder to Windows\System folder on WIN98SE system. 

Checked date of dll in version 1.0.0 and saw that it was
12/10/03, which is not what was removed manually. 7/04/00 was removed, so 12/10/03 was not installed?

It appears that the installation is not actually installing the dll into the \Windows\System folder.  Both versions 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 seem to be installing sesodbc.dll with the date of 7/04/00.  I am not believing what I am seeing. Shocked

Just another observarion: both version 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 dll files have same internal version reference, though dates are different.  File sizes of both versions are also identical, = 1,015,808.  That might be okay, but since this was to correct some problems I thought that perhaps the size would change, and that the internal version would also change.

So I now have three non working versions of sesodbc.dll:
07/04/00, internal version  1.00.0000, 1,015,808 bytes, Version ?.?.?
12/10/03, internal version  1.00.0000, 1,015,808 bytes, Version 1.0.0
01/27/04, internal version  1.00.0000, 1,015,808 bytes, Version 1.0.1

So we will have to wait for Version 1.0.2 next? Cry

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 1:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
I just cleared my system, downloaded the zip file. Ran the setup.exe in the setup32 directory. Started a sesame server, connected and using MSWord's mail merge facility, connected using the ODBC driver, selected a connection and fields in MSQuery, returned those fields to MSWord and created a mail merge document. All went well.

I haven't tried it in Access, but it does seem to work well in Word. Can you tell me the procedure you are using in Word that is failing to connect?

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 2:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Leaving right now, but quick answer is per the Sesame documentation.  Merging with Samples Customers.db.
Merge using Ascii file is fine.  ODBC is failing.

Selecting MS Query at point of Get Data.
After selecting Sesame Customers DNS, the MS Query screen just shows hourglass.  Need to do STL-ALT-DEL to get Close window which shows MS Query not responding.  Word Document is then frozen and Word also needs to be forced closed

Have tried using server name with and without \\.
Have tried with Sesame Server.
Have tried with Stand alone Sesame

Using Word 2000 with WIN98ME. 

Will be back tonight, good luck......

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 8:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Have tried using server name with and without \\.
Have tried with Sesame Server.
Have tried with Stand alone Sesame

if you are absolutely positive that the sesodbc.dll file was deleted from C:\Windows\system, before the setup.exe in new Setup32 was run, then:

The configuration for the DSN should be:

Data Source: Any name that suits you and is unique
Database: C:\Sesame\Data\Customers.db
Host: ComputerNameOfServer
Port: 20000

The DSN needs to be setup on the client computer.

To launch a server for the above the "Target" (if using icons) or command line, should be:

C:\Sesame\Program\sesame -server ComputerNameOfServer:20000:20001

You should see the Sesame server's "server window" appear. You should be able to connect to it using the sesame client with:

C:\Sesame\Program\sesame -client ComputerNameOfServer:20000:20001

If the ComputerNameOfServer has spaces in it, put the ComputerNameOfServer in double quotes.

The "Start In" (if using an icon) directory should be set to C:\Sesame. The rootdirs.ini should be in the "Start In" directory.

Make sure you can get to and open the target .db file using a Sesame client and the intended Sesame server, before attempting to setup the DSN.

At no time should server syntax use "\\", nor will this work using a standalone Sesame. But it can be used with the ODBC client and the Sesame server both on the same computer.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 7:23am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for this major clue Mark.  
Quote:
To launch a server for the above the "Target" (if using icons) or command line, should be:

C:\Sesame\Program\sesame -server ComputerNameOfServer:20000:20001
This did it for me. Grin  Forced me to take a microscopic look at my settings.  Needed adjustments.

PROBLEM to be addressed: There are a number of references in the UserGuide on pages 417-419 that need to be corrected.  Most noticeable is the missing hyphen in front of server/client.

My server shortcut had omitted the port since it was listed as optional, the default being 20000.  I had to add :20000:20001 to finally make the connection.  That along with the hyphens resulted in success.  

And on those pages it also looks like there is a space between machine name and the :port:port, but no space should be there.
===============================
Success history is documented here:

1.  Doing Word Merge worked fine, had options to filter and/or sort records before merging.  The best part of the ODBC was not having to make an export file.  And I can use the normal Word field formatting tools to clean up appearances as needed.

2.  Using Access was another issue, finally resulting in success.  Here are some abbreviated notes to save others from some of the steps I went through:

1.  Made a Pass Through query, got error message:  Sad
Quote:
ODBC--call failed.
[Lantica, Inc][Sesame ODBC Drive (#999)

=============================
2.  Made a new standard query based on the Pass Through query, got this similar error message when adding the Pass Through to the Design Grid:  Sad
Quote:
ODBC--call failed.
[Lantica, Inc][Sesame ODBC Driver][ISAM]Error: failure while (#999)

3.  Tried File, External Date, Link Tables, saw one table=Customers, OK.  Result=linked table named Customers.   Cheesy  Opening table got error message:  Cry
Quote:
ODBC--call failed.
[Lantica, Inc][Sesame ODBC Drive (#999)

followed by another message:  Cry
Quote:
Microsoft Access can't open the table in Datasheet view.

4.  Made a new query based on the Linked table Customers.  Allowed me to see all fields. Grin  Grin
And I can do sorting, filtering criteria, formatting, user prompts, use VBA, combine with data from other applications, etc.  THAT's WHAT I WANT!
Solution is to make a table using a link to Sesame, then making a query based on that table.  Now all forms and reports can be made from that query.

Additional observations:  All testing was done on WIN98ME with Access/Word 2000.  All work was done on local machine, not using Server-Client across a network, but the ODBC Sesame database object was on another workstation across the Windows Network.

Was unable to write back to update fields from Access to Sesame, but not surprised.  Would have been more surprised if I could.

So......ODBC version 1.0.2 is probably not needed?  Still curious about the installation of the old file, but will do tests on other systems to try to duplicate that again.

Access and Word cannot make the ODBC connection to Sesame if Sesame is running by itself as a stand-alone server-client combination.  You must have the Server running.  If you also have a Client open, then no connection can be made.  This is because of no license for multiple users.

Based on the experience with no connection when Client was running, I suspect that I will have the same problem if I have multiple DSNs to call at the same time.  More testing on that over the weekend probably.  

It would look like multiple licenses will be needed to open more than one Sesame application at the same time.  This really reduces the ability to merge databases together in queries combining information from more than one source.  An extra license for every source to be combined is too prohibitive.....hope there can be a cheaper solution to that.  At least allow a single workstation to make multiple connections with a single license.  Multiple connections to the same application could still be restricted by licensing.

But at least this ODBC is now working so I can move ahead to combine Sesame data with QuickBooks and other applications.

Thanks again........ Grin  

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 1:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Based on the experience with no connection when Client was running, I suspect that I will have the same problem if I have multiple DSNs to call at the same time.  More testing on that over the weekend probably. 

It would look like multiple licenses will be needed to open more than one Sesame application at the same time.  This really reduces the ability to merge databases together in queries combining information from more than one source.  An extra license for every source to be combined is too prohibitive.....hope there can be a cheaper solution to that.  At least allow a single workstation to make multiple connections with a single license.  Multiple connections to the same application could still be restricted by licensing.

It is restricted by the license, but as long as each connection closes before the next resumes, you can run apps in sequence. Most non-microsoft apps can do this in that they are told to close after each retrieve (as recommended procedure). Microsoft, on the other hand, keeps each connection open until all are completed, repeating the retrieve in the client application - extremely inefficient. You can see this if you are working in Word and MSQuery. MSQuery performs a retrieve, immediately followed by a second retrieve to actually get the data for Word. The connection for the MSQuery is left open until after the retrieve for Word. Knowing that microsoft does this, we have accomodated it by providing a +1 license for ODBC connnections.

Additionally, you can run more than one server, so long as it is accessing a different application file - so for combining and merging data for multiple applications through ODBC, licensing should not present a problem.

As to the typos in the manual on 417-419: the missing hyphen ("-") is apparently a typesetting error. The erroneously included space (" ") is a typo. Please send a message to support@lantica.com indicating the error.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 2:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Please send a message to support@lantica.com indicating the error.

Done.  Thanks again....

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged