Normal Topic Merge two fields, with a catch (Read 521 times)
Duane

New at this, will have
many newbie questions!

Merge two fields, with a catch
Feb 6th, 2004 at 9:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am still in the process of converting and test the database we use in QA4.  The way the invoice database was setup, it has two large text fields which contain the descriptions of what they are being billed for.  The database is two pages with on the first page the field being "Description:>" and at the end of the first page"<".  At the start of the 2nd page it is ">" and halfway down it is "<" (basically a field with no name shown on the database).  This was done for the clients that have long monthly invoices to have it print correctly, which is done as a print spec, not a report (I didn't set it up so not sure why). 

But since Sesame can handle the large field, I want to combine the two fields together before translating.  I have looked at just doing a mass update to combine the fields, but have only done this with comment/note fields where a "," is acceptable break.  The way the form reads the description and price item is lined up in columns (not real columns).  So I want to do a end of line break, but can't find any reference to end of line statements.

want to do some thing like this
#1 = #1 + end of line + #2

is this possible and if so, what code or wording is used for the end of line?

sorry for being so wordy, but the way these database where setup and the lack of documentation on them is unbelievable.

Duane

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Merge two fields, with a catch
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 10:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Duane,

#1 = #1 +  @chr (10) + #2

works in Sesame but does not work in Q&A.  You see two separate line when you open up the field using F6, otherwise you see character ^J, I think.

@newline () and @chr (10) produce identical results.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Merge two fields, with a catch
Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 10:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
There is also @newline() - abbrev.: @nl().

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged