Normal Topic Word merge problem (Read 996 times)
PeterG

No personal text

Word merge problem
Jan 19th, 2004 at 1:41am
Print Post Print Post  
Having difficulty getting Sesame to start Word, which is at the typical place (c:\program files\microsoft office\office\winword.exe).  Word.bat is at c:\sesame\word.bat.  I've followed the "Merge Print Database Records" instructions and when I click on the Merge Print command button, the customer.txt data source is created in the c:\sesame\docs folder.  Everything seems to work fine, except Word doesn't start, so nothing is printed.  If I go outside of Sesame and start Word, it will merge the customer.txt data just fine.  What am I missing?  Thanks.

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Re: Word merge problem
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 2:21am
Print Post Print Post  
Double check the exact location of the winword.exe file.  On my WinXP system, the folder that winword is in reads C:\program files\microsoft office\Office11  (eleven).  Others have mentioned on this forum, I think, that theirs was in Office12, or Office10.  Maybe this might be the problem?

Hope that's it.
T.J.

IP Logged

PeterG

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 12:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately winword.exe is in c:\program files\microsoft office\office.  I'm running under 98SE.  Tried wordmerge after installing Sesame on another computer (also running 98SE), thinking it might have been the first computer, but same results.  It's a mystery (one I need to solve).

IP Logged

Gordon_M
Members

No personal text

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 2:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately winword.exe is in c:\program files\microsoft office\office.  I'm running under 98SE.

Peter,
I believe, with Win98SE, you need this:
c:
cd\progra~1\micros~1\office
winword.exe %1
Exit
Just be sure they are ~1; they could easily be ~2.
Gordon

IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 11:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Everything runs smoothly, my problem however is that the merge fields in the word document do not display the values from the data source file.  The data source file has the same field names as the database names and the paths to the files are correct, so I don't understand why it isn't "populating" the fields.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 12:27am
Print Post Print Post  
Gordon wrote:
Quote:
Just be sure they are ~1; they could easily be ~2.
This is not insignificant!  I think that anyone who needs to reference short filenames should be familiar with the following information from the XXCOPY documentation. 

Here is an excerpt:
Quote:
The problem:

The problem arises when a directory contains a number of files whose aliases share a common base part (differing only by the numeric tails). When you copy these files to another directory, the aliases will be assigned by the simple (first-come-first-served) algorithm, the first such file copied to the destination directory  will have numeric tail of ~1 regardless of what was its alias in the source directory. Therefore, the Windows operating system does *NOT* preserve the alias after copying.

We consider this a very serious defect in the file system design. Most file copy programs ignore this aspect in file copying. This includes Explorer (drag-and-drop), COPY, and XCOPY. 

The link to the original document is here:
http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy03.htm.  The entire document should be read.  It has clear examples that you can test yourself to see the problem.

(And I should take this opportunity to say how happy I am with XXCOPY as a utility).

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged