Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tabbed forms   (Read 1663 times)
layers

No personal text

Tabbed forms  
Jan 15th, 2004 at 7:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Anyone have any problems getting fields to stick in a tabbed form? To try to make this short, I had a problem where a field "sticks" to the parent form and not the tab form. Kind of just goes right through. Noticed that as I drag and drop onto the form the properties shows parenting to "null" or "tab4" or "new form" but not always where you expect to see it. Some tab forms seem to be not well defined or lose boundry definition. The "null" appearing when the entire field and name is over the tabbed form. Of course if you let it go there then the tabbed form looks OK but if you flip though the tabs the lower tabs show that field transposed onto them. If you drag the whole tab box around you see it's stuck on the parent form. Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Tabbed forms  
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 8:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rubberbanding to select elements on Tabs or Tabs themselves can cause some odd visual behavior. Use Click and Shift-click to select elements when working with Tabs.

Also, if you have selected an element on the Form and an element on a Tab at the same time, you will not be able reparent either element. All selected elements must have the same parent element to be reparented.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bobbi

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 12:53am
Print Post Print Post  
" All selected elements must have the same parent element to be reparented."

Please don't take offense Mark, but I doubt the above makes a bit of sense to anyone in this world outside of you and Erika. 

I'm having the same sort of problem after creating a tabbed page and fields for that page with the Tutorial on my lap following what instructions there are step by step.  As I move the newly created fields from the parent form to the new one I don't get the message parenting to (name of new form) as the manual advises.  I do get a message parenting to canvas-ghosting.  The fields appear to be on the new tabbed page until I click on the new page.  Then they disappear and turn out to truly be on the canvas behind my new tabbed page.   

I have deleted the tabbed page and all the new fields 4 times and started over again with just the first page intact.   So unless you can add something more in detailed step by step instructions than what's in the manual I'm going to throw in the towel.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 1:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I have deleted the tabbed page and all the new fields 4 times and started over again with just the first page intact.   So unless you can add something more in detailed step by step instructions than what's in the manual I'm going to throw in the towel.

Is there any possibility that you are accidentally using one of the Beta versions? If you are using the release version, could you let me know exactly which step in the Tutorial is not working for you?

- Hammer
IP Logged

layers

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 8:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
BTW: Have not been able to reproduce the events that started this thread. Tried to pull fields off various re-designed tab pages and then drop them to ghosting and then bring them back in. Did not "rubber band" any of the fields. Always dragged and dropped one at a time BTW. Have not seen the
parenting to:null  that seemed to cause the most problems.
May have been an alignment problem. I am now more careful w/ aligning fields than when I started.

IP Logged

Bobbi

No personal text

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 3:19am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is there any possibility that you are accidentally using one of the Beta versions?

No, I'm not using a beta version.  Let me explain what I've learned in the hope it may save someone else wasted time and frustration.  The Tutorial doesn't show the finished form so I had a mental picture of a tabbed form such as those in Excel, where each page is full sized.  I had designed a form and decided I didn't like that many fields on one page.  So I removed some of the fields and resized the page to about 3/4 of the default page size.  When I created a tabbed page part of it was "under" the parent page.  When I dragged a field from the parent form to the first tabbed paged it ended up on the canvas.  I also found I was unable to resize the tabbed page under these circumstances.  I finally discovered that Sesames tabbed pages must fit *over* the original page.  I suggest this restriction should be added to a read me file and to the next version of the documentation.      

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 4:44am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
 I finally discovered that Sesames tabbed pages must fit *over* the original page.  I suggest this restriction should be added to a read me file and to the next version of the documentation.          

Bobbi,

What do you mean by over the original page?

I have been using tabs extensively in all sizes and shapes all over my form layouts with fairly good results and am very interested in understanding what you have found.

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bobbi

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 2:47am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I have been using tabs extensively in all sizes and shapes all over my form layouts with fairly good results

Bob,

The key is "OVER my form layouts".  If you don't have enough empty space on your form to accomodate the default  tabbed page it ends up on the canvas.  Under those circumstances the tabbed page can't be resized and any fields dragged to a tabbed page sitting on the canvas and partially under the original form will be parented to the canvas.  This happened because I had moved the bottom of my original form to just under the last fields on that form.  Lacking an example of the finished tabbed page in the documentation my mental picture of a tabbed page was modeled on the Excel tabbed pages where the tabs are full page.

Hope this answers your question.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 3:32am
Print Post Print Post  
Bobbi,

Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like you have figured out what not to do.

I will take care to avoid that situation.  Smiley

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 3:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
As "proof-reader" for Inside Sesame, I will "leak" this bit of information concerning the Topic of "Tabbed Forms".  The February issue of Inside Sesame has a nice article titled "Designing Forms with Tab Pages"  Should help a lot of people!

New issues of Inside Sesame are usually available for download on or shortly after the first of each month.  Anyone needing more info - go to http://www.insidesesame.com ;

T.J.
PS: There's a great, in-depth article on using PrintString() to place data in specific locations on paper, and uses the printing of 3-part checks (check and 2 stubs) as the practical example.

IP Logged

Peter

No personal text

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 2:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just a note to add to the discussion. I've been working on a Q&A translated database and have seen some weird things since adding tabs. A few of my translated fields were much wider than the tabbed pages. If I tried to drag them they would vanish when over a tabbed page. The solution was to move them back onto the parent form, resize and then drag back onto the tabbed page. Confusing at first but easy when you know what to do!

Peter

IP Logged

Bobbi

No personal text

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 3:15am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Just a note to add to the discussion. I've been working on a Q&A translated database and have seen some weird things since adding tabs. A few of my translated fields were much wider than the tabbed pages. If I tried to drag them they would vanish when over a tabbed page. The solution was to move them back onto the parent form, resize and then drag back onto the tabbed page. Confusing at first but easy when you know what to do!

Peter

I also found this to be true.  It seems tabbed forms are picky about things fitting.  If they don't, it does strange things to your tabbed page and/or the fields.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 2:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I also found this to be true.  It seems tabbed forms are picky about things fitting.  If they don't, it does strange things to your tabbed page and/or the fields. 

In general, elements that contain other elements must be sized large enough that the elements they contain completely fit inside them. Tabs must be large enough to contain their child elements. Radio Button groups must be large enough to contain all their radio buttons. Etc.

- Hammer
IP Logged