Normal Topic can't search in subforms (Read 1537 times)
FSGROUP

No personal text

can't search in subforms
Feb 9th, 2004 at 11:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
i've been battling with this for days and can't figure out what the problem is.  i simply want to be able to search for parent records from w/in subforms. (for example, find all clients who have an insurance policy).

i figure i can't really go wrong when adding the subform to the main form since the parent and child record fields are to be selected from a dropdown list. i've chosen "Matching Field Values" for the subrecord type and "Show related child records" for the records to be displayed.

i've deleted and re-added subforms, but still the same problem: "No records returned" after a query in the subform is performed when i know there is a parent record w/ a subrecord for that query.

i have 2 of the same subforms in the main form and one of them will search properly and the other won't. the only difference b/w them being the subform view type.(?!?)

but it doesn't matter b/c i have other SFs of various types and none of them will return any results from a search.

pleaing for help,
  ???

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: can't search in subforms
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 1:44am
Print Post Print Post  
When you search subform, it basically search subforms for related Main Form. If I place "= "  in any field in subform, it will retrieve all the main forms with empty value of that element in one of the subform records.  Conversely if you place "/= ", it will retrieve the main-form records, with none of the subrecords of that main record will be empty element of the specified element.

Programmed Retrieve does not seem to work in subform. Not only that everytime you try to use programmed retrieve it locks the application. I believe this needs to be corrected so, either it gives the results or gives message that programmed retrival not supported in subform.  I tried this in Country.db with the same results... so, I believe this is a bug.

I believe, you have insurance policy Info in the subrecord.  If you place /=  it will give retrieve main records in which all the subrecords have insurance policy, and if any of the record does not have policy, it will not retrieve those mainforms.

If you use inverse search, with the above parameters, you cover all the possibilities.

Namely:
all subrecords empty     /=   inverted search
some subrecords empty  =   
all records filled    =    Inverted search
some records filled  /=   

Some of your problems in retrieval of subform based search may be application specific and code within it.  I guess.

IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 4:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
thanx for the reply Bharat_Naik. I understand how searching works, but if my main form and subform contain ID, then doing a search in subform for ID=1 should bring up client with ID=1 in main form no? (ie., if I set up the subform to return matching field value for ID)

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 6:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have also the difficulties searching subform when subform is connected with the mainform using relational link. 

With automatic natural link, programmed retrieval ( the search formula placed in {  } ) in the subform does not work.

IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 6:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
has anyone else been receiving problems with searching from within subforms?

I would like to know if there is a bug b/c I have been rattling w/ this for days and can't figure it out. I have deleted subform contents and subforms themselves, re-added data to the parent and child forms..all with no luck.

Thank you.

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 7:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'd like to help you, but I am really not clear on what it is that you are doing. Can you give a more detailed description of the search you are performing, and what records you expect to see.  Alternatively, send the app to support@lantica.com with a description of the search. You could even save the Retrieve before sending the app.

Alec
IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 7:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
i have a parent form and a child subform, they are connected by matching field values(ie., ID). My parent form contains client info and the subform contains insurance info. I want to be able to search in the subform for clients that have insurance policies.

For ID=1(for example), I can see all the client's info and his related insurance info, with ID=1 displayed in both the form and subform.

However, if i do a search for ID=1 in the subform, no results are returned. I'm expecting to see the info for client with ID=1(in the main form) as well as the records for insurance info with ID=1(in the subform). It's a simple search, so I don't see understand why I can't connect the IDs from subform to form.

Thanx.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 7:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
This bug has been fixed and will be available in the next release 1.0.2

Raymond Yoxall Consulting