Normal Topic Cross Tab reports (Read 786 times)
hlatz

No personal text

Cross Tab reports
Feb 12th, 2004 at 7:21am
Print Post Print Post  
Is there any intention of adding a Q&A-like cross tab reports facility in a future edition of Sesame?

I'm just wondering whether it's worth my while waiting for it or whether I'll have to bite the bullet and start programming (as in http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gen_disc;action=display...).

My Q&A application has reports such as a "Hoods hired by ceremony" table, which has 57 types of academic hoods listed down the left hand side of the table, 12 ceremonies as the column headings, and each cell of the table shows how many of each type of hood has been hired out for each graduation ceremony. This is simply set up in Q&A using

Cer No:  COL, NS, AS
Hood Type: ROW, NS, AS
Hood (No.): SUMMARY, T

In Sesame it seems that I'll have to set up 12 global variables for each type of academic wear (gowns, hoods, stoles etc., but the remainder of this paragraph is about hoods), sort my hiring records by hood type and ceremony number, set up a mass update program to increment the 12 variables as it works through a hood type for each ceremony, print a line and reset the variables to 0 on each change of hood type, and then put all of that into some macro or command button thing to make things more straightforward for my users.  Sad

Hmmmm.

Hence, my question - any plans for cross tab reports?

Heather

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Cross Tab reports
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 1:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is there any intention of adding a Q&A-like cross tab reports facility in a future edition of Sesame?

I can't make any promises, but Q&A compatibility features always get preferential treatment on our "to-do" lists.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 2:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just as we don't hesitate to use Microsoft Word alongside Sesame, to 'fill the gaps' like a full-feature word processor, those who have Microsoft Office on their machines can use Excel to take the place of the as-yet-unavailable crosstab reports.
Export the set of data to an ASCII file and you'll find it can be a data source for an Excel Pivot Table. This is like a super-dooper easy-to-modify crosstab report.
For details, look up Pivot Table in Excel help.

Alec
IP Logged

hlatz

No personal text

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 12:11am
Print Post Print Post  
Good point, Alec. I hadn't thought of that. However the program is for my voluntary work group and most of the volunteers are women in their 60s, 70s and 80s, who feel that the less buttons they have to press and the less they have to understand about the computer the better. That's why Q&A was so good. They just had to select Reports, the report name, Enter and there it was!

Heather

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 2:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
With a little setup, you can put the Word/Excel document icon right on the desktop. Your users can then double click on the document icon, word/excel will load and "run" the document automatically. One double click.

In Q&A, without similar pre-setup, printing a report report requires a minumum of 7 keystrokes or mouseclicks - from startup to printing. With no macros or programming, it is a minimum of 5 mouseclicks in Sesame to print a report - again from startup to printing.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged