Normal Topic Cursor Position during Navigation (Read 451 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Cursor Position during Navigation
Feb 15th, 2004 at 3:18am
Print Post Print Post  
I would expect that when you use tab key to goto next LE during add or update, the cursor should move to the first character of the element. This is not always so. The way it is in Sesame now, if cursor is on 5th character of element and if you hit tab key, it will go to 5th character of next Element (provided that element has value with 5 or more characters).  

One more thing, the <insert>  key is totally not working for editing. It is always in the insert mode. This means you cannot overtype.  Well, I like this and prefer if it is left that way. Just wondering if it is overlooked.

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2004 at 5:42am by Bharat_Naik »  

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Cursor Position during Navigation
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2004 at 4:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame tries not to make decisions for you. If you put the cursor in the 5th position, Sesame believes that that is where you want it. If you move using "Enter", the cursor will go to the beginning. That way it is your choice.

Yes, Sesame supports overwrite by highlight - not mode. Insert/Overwrite by mode was (and is) more of a user interface problem than a solution, in that users must remember what mode they are in, what mode is default (very dangerous if overwrite is the default), and switch modes (without contributing to their data) to be effectively editing. This is not sound ergonomics or by any objective measure: "ease of use". The only way it succeeds in "ease of use" is mild familiarity. It fails in time taken, number of keys pressed, and number of mistakes made.

Overwrite by highlight, decreases time taken, decreases keystrokes, and greatly decreases mistakes made in that the only portion overwritten is that portion explicitly selected.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Cursor Position during Navigation
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2004 at 4:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Yes, Sesame supports overwrite by highlight - not mode. Insert/Overwrite by mode was (and is) more of a user interface problem than a solution, in that users must remember what mode they are in, what mode is default (very dangerous if overwrite is the default), and switch modes (without contributing to their data) to be effectively editing. This is not sound ergonomics or by any objective measure: "ease of use". The only way it succeeds in "ease of use" is mild familiarity. It fails in time taken, number of keys pressed, and number of mistakes made.

Thanks for your explanation. I like it the way it is. I agree, it is better this way but wanted to make sure it is kept that way by choice and not overlooked.

IP Logged