Normal Topic Archives (Read 692 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Archives
Feb 17th, 2004 at 8:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
I just realized that over 200 forum topics have been moved into an Archives folder. It looks like this was done by date, taking everything before February.  I am sure that some of these issues are not yet resolved.   

If more additions to those topics occur, will they be moved from the Archive back to the General Discussion?  This now means that two different forums need to be reviewed for new information.

All items in the Archive Folder now have a "New" icon associated with it even though I may have recently read it.  That means that I now have to open evey one of them to make the icon go away so that I can easily see "real" new additions to the Archived forum.

What are the guidelines for moving to the Archive, anything over 2 weeks old?  Would really prefer to see all items kept in the same General Discussions Forum.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Archives
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 9:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
All items in the Archive Folder now have a "New" icon associated with it even though I may have recently read it.  That means that I now have to open evey one of them to make the icon go away so that I can easily see "real" new additions to the Archived forum.

If you go in Archive folder and select Mark Topics as Read at the bottom or at the top just once,  that will mark all topics as read. One does not have to go into each topic individually.

It would be nice, if any topic with new post moves automatically to active folder.  Well, it is really workable as the topic with new post moves to the front.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 10:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm trying to keep about a month's worth of active posts. If anything in the Archive gets activity, I'll move it back into General Discussion. In this case, we archived everything which had no activity since Jan 31. The date stamp goes by date of last activity, not the date the thread was started. I figure if nobody has had anything to say on the subject for 30-45 days, it's probably safe to put it away.

I'm trying to balance the desires of those who want everything in one place with those who want the posts broken out into 10 (or more) different categorized topic boards. We'll see what ends up making the most sense for our needs. Smiley

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 10:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
If you go in Archive folder and select Mark Topics as Read
Thanks  Bharat_Naik, I missed that.

I also like the idea of more groups, areas like Reports, Mass Updates, Merges, Printing, Syntax, Security, etc.

But I only want one URL to go to to see if any new/updates have been created in any of the lower levels.  Trying to automate with the Web site, periodically checking for updates.  But new top level pages to monitor really complicates the process.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged