Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Printing (Read 12367 times)
MecTec

No personal text

Re: Printing
Reply #15 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 7:43am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Going along similar lines, from our point of view we would love to see the menu tree moved to drop down menu's along the top menu bar and give us full screen use of our form.

I have not received our copy yet but tried a little with the trial version and I also want to se the tree away from the form, or better if there is any way to make a custom menu as the Q&A dos versions

IP Logged

Gordon_M
Members

No personal text

Reply #16 - Dec 30th, 2003 at 10:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
[One of the biggest things we liked about Q&A is that using a point of sale invoice, pic ticket data base system is that while your customer is standing on the other side of the couter, anyone in the workshop can fill in the blanks on the screen form, hit F2, F10 to print, F10 to save record, put a hard copy in the customers hands in 30 seconds or less and be pulling the ordered items from stock immediately. This not only makes us happy but our customers also.
We don't have to change screens to find print specs, or design them for that matter and this sure makes life easier.

Your probably sick of my ramblings by now but as I'm on a roll with this subject of printing records on the fly at input, we would like to be able to print the record prior to saving to the data base. You get so many customers after seeing their ticket want to make changes to the order. As the order is committed to the data base the non savey worker from the workshop now has to quit out of add records and now have to access to search/update records for them to find and change. We feel this one is a diaster waiting to happen for us.

[/quote]
Smiley
Becky,
I thought of many possibilities, given all the issues you explained in the posts I read through. The wordmerge.db would be very workable; it is highly flexible, but it does take some study to get to understand where to modify it. If you print just the one record (with wordmerge), you are returned to where you started - so you can change the order and print again.

The suggestion of using a different form I also found very attractive, but I had to prove something to myself. Having done so, you might try this: create that "other form, for printing." (Or more than one). Then, from Add on your data entry form, you create a macro that goes to the first field, the unique key field (invoice number, order number, etc. (Home, home, home - just like Q&A).
Shift-End to highlight the field contents, Ctrl-C to Copy, then Ctrl-F10 to save and close.
Next, click the Application Menu tab, and open the Print Form in Search/Update, press "Tab" to enter the key field, press Ctrl-V to paste in the number, press F10.
From the menu tree, select Print Forms to Default
Exit Search/Update
Select Search your original data entry form
Press Tab to enter the key field, press Ctrl-V, then F10.
Back in the record, ready to change the record, and reprint as necessary!
You should have 2 macros attached to 2 buttons on the input form, one If @add, the other if @update.
If you have several types of forms to choose from, your can program the buttons like the wordmerge.db button to put of a list of forms prior to the macro (it gets more complicated).
(Help is available at Lantica, Support, Links and resources).

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #17 - Dec 31st, 2003 at 5:46am
Print Post Print Post  
Gordon, thankyou for the in-depth explanation, I will look into both options but I'm not sure I understand the workings of these options to make them apply to our scenario. If I'm looking at this right neither option will let us print static text or element names, they still only print the added record information which is fine for pre-printed forms but defeats the purpose of being able to have your input form match your paper when you have a number of other forms which prints to plain paper. Is this correct?

IP Logged

Gordon_M
Members

No personal text

Reply #18 - Jan 1st, 2004 at 5:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Happy New Year, Becky.
I am confused by your message that seems to say only the data is printing, not the static text or element labels. I open an app, like wordmerge.db, pull up ONE record, click Print to Default, and the whole form prints. In wordmerge, it says Customer Record at the top, and even has the "Print Word Merge Letter" button near the bottom.
Please clarify what you are printing, and what appears on the paper.

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #19 - Jan 1st, 2004 at 10:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Happy New Year to everyone.
Gordon, I haven't had a chance to look at the "second form options" you mentioned as yet, due to end of month, end of year closing but basically we just cannot get a print out without switching to a postscript driver which gives us pot luck on what we get it seems.

If I follow your steps and open app, like wordmerge.db, pull up One record, (sample Customer.db) click Print to Default, I get two blank sheets of paper shot out of the printer. Now on a previous experiment of printing I switched to a different driver and printed through Record Command - Print Form and selected the PS3 driver I got the filled info only (have not been able to duplicate since, not sure what I did) now I tried the same process again to the PS3 driver and I get a printed form with the "Print Word Merge Letter" on the bottom the same as you but the form is way undersized to the paper.

I've resigned to the fact that printing is not much of an option until we get a patch or a workaround for these inkjets, so will concentrate on other aspects of our db's and keep plodding along until we can get this little problem resolved.
becky

IP Logged

Gordon_M
Members

No personal text

Reply #20 - Jan 1st, 2004 at 11:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Becky,
Sounds like Print Form is out. So, wordmerge.db type option is the way to go. Design the "invoice form" merge document by taking one of the sample wordmerge.doc s and editing it extensively. It is set already to merge with customer.txt, although the merge fields are likely not correct for your needs. Don't worry about that right now. Instead of Insert Merge field, type actual data, like a real Address, City, Item number, Amount due into the merge doc. Then Save As and give it the name you need.
The programming for the button in wordmerge can be easily modified to a) either popup a list of docs, or not, as you need, b) print just the current record, rather than asking user to choose "all" or "one", c) modify the Array to correspond to the fields you need for the merge document.
I know; I've modified it several times for a couple of apps I'm working with, even though I could never have written it from scratch by myself.
So, click on the button, Word opens with the filled in form, and you click Print, then Close, and you are back on the record in Sesame!
Good Luck.
Gordon

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #21 - Jan 2nd, 2004 at 1:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
To any and all having "Print Form" looks like a postage stamp problems, if you would - could you do me a favor? Using an unmodified backup of the "Schedule.db" database, edit it in SDesigner so that the title font is Arial Bold size 16. Make sure that no other changes have been made - particularly to fonts and font sizes.

Save the changes and go into preview. From preview perform a search that returns at least one record. Go to Record Commands | Print Form - and print the form.

If this has any affect (like not printing it the size of a postage stamp - for instance) or no affect at all - please post here listing your make and model of printer, type of printer (Laser, color, inkjet, etc..) and OS.

Thanks!

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #22 - Jan 2nd, 2004 at 7:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mark.  
========================
Nit picking first:
Transforming to Sesame can be tough for long time Q&A users because of new terminology, relationships, tree structures, etc.  Not be to be picky, but shouldn't this:
Quote:
Using an unmodified backup of the "Schedule.db" database
be referring to an "application" vs. a "database"?  Can use all the help possible to be consistent with the new terms.  Thanks.
==========================
Back to printing issue (terminology a factor here also):

I could not find anything referenced as "title".  I thought that "title" might be the heading , "SCHEDULING DATABASE" on the Appointments form.  So I modified the field named "LE1".  Changed it from Comic Sans MS Bold 16 to Arial bold 16.

Searched for record set of one record in result.

Printing result was a problem.  
1.  Printed a "postage stamp" image, about 1.75" wide, 1.5" tall.  
2.  Looking closely at the image, I see only the form labels and boxes, no data from the record.  
3.  "title" did not show print.  
4.  "version" at bottom did not print
5.  No extra pages (that is good).

Printer = HP DeskJet 870Cse inkjet.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2004 at 8:37pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #23 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 9:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,
In response to your above requested print test, using the modification to a copy of schedule.db

The printer just spat one blank sheet out.

Using the same method to the original unchanged db it prints a postage size, top left, back ground color (light blue) only.

Printer: HP 2500C Plus (color deskjet)

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #24 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 2:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
The good news here is that we have determined a cause for both the network printing only a blank page problem and the "postage stamp" problem. We have also found what appears to be a 95% fix for both problems. We are currently testing on the six different windows platforms and dozen or so print drivers we have in combination to get past that last 5%.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #25 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 7:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Version 1.0.1 did not correct problem for me.

Version 1.0.0 printed out the "postage stamp".
Version 1.0.1 does not print at all.  Gives message: "Printer Driver Problem.  Data required by the printer driver cannot be found or has been corrupted".

System has been rebooted, same results.  Other programs are printing OK.

(Note that preview on forum shows a line above here that is from the html form source code here....please ignore it)

Get same message in all four print options that go to printer.  Using option to sent to HTML succeeds, but the result is no good.  No data in report, just labels.  Heading is too low.  Source code is shown here:
=========================
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="a8fcfc">
<FORM>
<DIV STYLE="position:absolute; left:154px; top:19px; background:#a8fcfc; color:#000000;"><FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS" STYLE="FONT-SIZE:16px">SCHEDULING DATABASE</FONT></DIV>
<DIV STYLE="position:absolute; left:89px; top:72px; background:#a8fcfc; color:#000000;"><FONT FACE="Arial" STYLE="FONT-SIZE:14px">Call Date</FONT></DIV>
<INPUT STYLE="background:#ffffff; color:#000000; font-family:Arial; font-size:14px; line-height:14px; text-align:right; margin:0px; position:absolute; left:150px; top:71px; width:136px; height:18px;" VALUE="02/11/2003">
<DIV STYLE="position:absolute; left:67px; top:110px; background:#a8fcfc; color:#000000;"><FONT FACE="Arial" STYLE="FONT-SIZE:14px">SalesPerson</FONT></DIV>
<INPUT STYLE="background:#ffffff; color:#000000; font-family:Arial; font-size:14px; line-height:14px; margin:0px; position:absolute; left:150px; top:109px; width:226px; height:18px;" VALUE="Gracie Harrold">
<DIV STYLE="position:absolute; left:88px; top:148px; background:#a8fcfc; color:#000000;"><FONT FACE="Arial" STYLE="FONT-SIZE:14px">Call Time</FONT></DIV>
<INPUT STYLE="background:#ffffff; color:#000000; font-family:Arial; font-size:14px; line-height:14px; text-align:right; margin:0px; position:absolute; left:150px; top:147px; width:121px; height:18px;" VALUE="12:00:00 PM">
<DIV STYLE="position:absolute; left:87px; top:188px; background:#a8fcfc; color:#000000;"><FONT FACE="Arial" STYLE="FONT-SIZE:14px">Company</FONT></DIV>
<INPUT STYLE="background:#ffffff; color:#000000; font-family:Arial; font-size:14px; line-height:14px; margin:0px; position:absolute; left:150px; top:187px; width:218px; height:18px;" VALUE="Western Grinders">
<DIV STYLE="position:absolute; left:36px; top:223px; background:#a8fcfc; color:#000000;"><FONT FACE="Arial" STYLE="FONT-SIZE:14px">Appointment With</FONT></DIV>
<INPUT STYLE="background:#ffffff; color:#000000; font-family:Arial; font-size:14px; line-height:14px; margin:0px; position:absolute; left:150px; top:222px; width:216px; height:18px;" VALUE="Dan Johnson - Owner">
<DIV STYLE="position:absolute; left:24px; top:317px; background:#a8fcfc; color:#000000;"><FONT FACE="Arial" STYLE="FONT-SIZE:14px">Comments</FONT></DIV>
<TEXTAREA STYLE="background:#ffffff; color:#000000; font-family:Arial; font-size:14px; line-height:14px; margin:0px; position:absolute; left:94px; top:268px; width:357px; height:114px;">They have placed orders in the past but have been very slow in paying us. See if you can stress the importance of prompt pay without being too obnoxious. They need our product and could turn into a big customer.</TEXTAREA>
<DIV STYLE="position:absolute; left:175px; top:404px; background:#a8fcfc; color:#000000;"><FONT FACE="Arial" STYLE="FONT-SIZE:9px">SCHEDULE.  Version 1.00 Dec 2003</FONT></DIV>
</FORM>
</BODY>
</HEAD>
</HTML>
=============================
Followed instructions from Mark's Jan 2 post.  Made a copy of Schedule.  Modified heading to Arial, Bold, 16.  Saved design, went to Preview mode, retrieved one record, and tried to print.

Using Windows 98 SE with HP DeskJet 870Cse.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #26 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 7:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
1.01 gave part fix to printing

Using- Record Commands
-Printing Commands
The Print Form and the Print Form(no background)
This gives the same results as 1.0 - One little ink splot in the top left corner and nothing else.

Using Print Defaut and Print Default (no background) does print but I get a 1" margin at top and left side with a 1.125" margin on the right, this brings my printed size to 6.25" wide which inturn reduces my font size to an  unbearable small size.
My form is sized in designer to full screen width.

Have not had a chance to check HTML as yet but will later.

Using Windows XP Pro printing to HP Deskjet 2500C Plus

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #27 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 7:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob

You say when you Print to HTML the results are no good. May I ask what browser you are using?

I only ask because i.e. 5 when i make a web page using the source code that you pasted works just fine. and in Netscape 7.1 I can see all the information but the text size is a little bit too big for the size of the fields. I can even read in the source code the values of the fields.

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #28 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 9:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
1.01 gave part fix to printing

Using- Record Commands
-Printing Commands
The Print Form and the Print Form(no background)
This gives the same results as 1.0 - One little ink splot in the top left corner and nothing else.

Using Print Defaut and Print Default (no background) does print but I get a 1" margin at top and left side with a 1.125" margin on the right, this brings my printed size to 6.25" wide which inturn reduces my font size to an  unbearable small size.
My form is sized in designer to full screen width.

Have not had a chance to check HTML as yet but will later.

Using Windows XP Pro printing to HP Deskjet 2500C Plus

That is really odd. The "regular" print routines and the "default printer" print routines only differ in that the regular routines allow the user to access the print dialog before printing - where they can set margins, landscape versus portrait, etc...

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #29 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 11:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well Mark, if its going to happen to anyone it will be me  Grin

Tried both options again with same result, closed db and Sesame, restarted and tried again had same results, ink spot in top left corner.

On attempt #6 when the print dialog box opened I selected properties, made no changes and selected ok, properties box closed and I selected ok in the print dialog box and my form printed.
I then tried this same method with the Print Form (no background) and it printed also.
Do you do exorcising as well as programming?  Grin

Tried the HTM option, it printed elements over the top of other elements, changed the positon of static text and overran the paper size down the right margin.
It did change the margins to .75"  and brought the font size back to its correct size. It acted like the form was too big for the paper size.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print