Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Printing (Read 12369 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Printing
Reply #30 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 12:28am
Print Post Print Post  
Default browser was Netscape 4.79

I should have looked at HTML source code myself.  I just opened up the html form in 9 different browsers with the following results:

Netscape 4.77: Form shows no fields, no data.   Sad
Netscape 4.79: Form shows no fields, no data.   Sad
Oops, If I resize the Netscape window, the fields with data show up.  If I refresh, data disappears again. Same thing in Netscape 4.77. ???
Netscape 6.2: Form displays properly. Smiley
Netscape 7.1: Form displays properly.  Smiley

MSIE 6.0:  Form displays properly.  Smiley

Mozilla 1.4:  Form displays properly.  Smiley

AOL 5.0: Form shows with data, but does not finish loading.  Gets error message that "request took too long.  ???
AOL 7.0: Form displays properly.  Smiley
AOL 9.0: Form displays properly.  Smiley

So do we now need a definition of the minimum versions of browsers needed to work with Sesame?  Not just to work with Sesame but for others to be able to read reports generated by Sesame.

Note:  This is only the print to html issue, still not printing to printer.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #31 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 1:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

The browser must support cascading style sheets (1.0 or better) for the Print to HTML command. This would include, but not be limited to:

IE4, IE5.x, IE6, IE7, Mozilla, NS6, NS7, Konqueror (Linux), Opera5, Opera6.

IE3.x and NS4.x predate CSS.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #32 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 1:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
On attempt #6 when the print dialog box opened I selected properties, made no changes and selected ok, properties box closed and I selected ok in the print dialog box and my form printed.
I then tried this same method with the Print Form (no background) and it printed also.

Becky, please double check with HP that you are using a driver made for XP. The latest driver I can find for your printer on HP's site is the one made for NT 4.0. There is a "lite" driver for 2000. There is also a firmware upgrade for use with NT 4.0. But I can't find a XP specific driver for that printer. I would imagine (though I can't say for sure) that the 2000/NT driver might be okay. But I would be very concerned if you are using the driver made for 95/98/ME.

Quote:
Tried the HTM option, it printed elements over the top of other elements, changed the positon of static text and overran the paper size down the right margin.
It did change the margins to .75"  and brought the font size back to its correct size. It acted like the form was too big for the paper size.

Again, double check that your driver is made for XP. The HTML print routine uses the embedded HTML printing functions that comes with XP as part of the OS, IE, or MSOffice. If you print to a file and look at it with IE or Netscape do the same problems happen?

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #33 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 3:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
please double check with HP that you are using a driver made for XP. The latest driver I can find for your printer on HP's site is the one made for NT 4.0.

You are correct Mark HP did not release a driver for XP.
The driver I'm using is the 2500 series from within XP which I presume to be the NT 4.0 driver

Quote:
The HTML print routine uses the embedded HTML printing functions that comes with XP as part of the OS, IE, or MSOffice. If you print to a file and look at it with IE or Netscape do the same problems happen?

Viewing it in IE 6 is the same as Printing to paper except the form fits the screen in width, same elements and a command button at the bottom of the form get moved up into the bottom of the subform.
Or I should say the subforms lines increase in height which expands the subform in length, which inturn places the element and command button in the subform.

If I open the html file in word it rearranges everything on the form to one line items down the left margin.

I guess I can try re-loading the the print driver from HP's site starting with the NT 4.0 driver, the lite 2000 driver I think from memory was for laptops.

If anyone else is using  a HP 2500 series printer and are not having any problems would you post your driver name/date thanks

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #34 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 3:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the info on acceptable browsers Mark. 

It might be a good idea to include that information in documentation for System Requirements, or in a ReadMe file somewhere.

There are still many machines out here using older software.  I tested on 9 browsers because I try to have systems available in my office to simulate conditions of my clients's environments.

How many people do you know who are still using DOS programs? (hundreds of thousands to buy Sesame, right?)  Grin

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #35 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 3:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
It might be a good idea to include that information in documentation for System Requirements, or in a ReadMe file somewhere.

Please pass this on to support@lantica.com.

Quote:
There are still many machines out here using older software.  I tested on 9 browsers because I try to have systems available in my office to simulate conditions of my clients's environments.

Our log files for the web server show only a small percentage using browsers more than 3 years old. Netscape 4 (June 1997-Nov 2000) and IE 4 (Oct 1997 - Mar 1999), make up only a tiny fraction of our traffic. The scarcity of older browsers among the general surfing public may account for the oversight in the documentation / requirements.

However, I was using Netscape 3.0 until last year when I switched to Mozilla.

So while our customers do have a penchant for DOS based programs (or is it a particular DOS based program?), they seem to be on the cutting (bleeding?) edge when it comes to browsers. This page (the Forum) depends heavily on CSS - so anyone using our Forum likely has a browser made since 1999.

General Note:
We use very little CSS in the reports, because the browser support for it is a little spotty. There are a couple of report functions that require it - like forced page breaks. But if your browser doesn't support CSS, table based reports should be okay. The only function in Sesame where CSS is strictly required is the Print to HTML command - where we need CSS to get absolute positioning.

By the way there is a browser history page at:
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/history/browsers.htm

that includes a CSS support history at:
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/supportkey/syntax.htm

if anyone is interested.

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #36 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 9:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, according to HP the driver for my printer is the one within XP.
But out of curiosity I downloaded both drivers they have available on their website, the full version for NT 4.0 and the Lite driver, installed each one (separately) and tested.
All results came out the same as previous post yet all my other applications print fine and normal  Cry

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #37 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 10:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark, according to HP the driver for my printer is the one within XP.
But out of curiosity I downloaded both drivers they have available on their website, the full version for NT 4.0 and the Lite driver, installed each one (separately) and tested.
All results came out the same as previous post yet all my other applications print fine and normal  Cry

When you say, "...the driver for my printer is the one within XP" do you mean that you are using a driver that came with the operating system? Here's what I'm thinking: earlier you told me that when the print dialog appeared, you went to the "properties" tab before printing. Doing so caused Sesame to print relatively normally:
Quote:
On attempt #6 when the print dialog box opened I selected properties, made no changes and selected ok, properties box closed and I selected ok in the print dialog box and my form printed.
I then tried this same method with the Print Form (no background) and it printed also.

This makes me suspect that some variable in the driver is not defaulting properly. By going to the properties dialog you may have forced the default value. It may well be that Sesame needs to send a special command (just for that driver/OS/printer combination) to force the same value through. Are you using any non-Microsoft programs that print to that printer other than Q&A? I am especially interested in anything that does graphical screen dumps. I may be able to do a little research specific to your combination of OS/Drivers/Printer.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #38 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 1:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:

Version 1.0.1 did not correct problem for me.

Version 1.0.0 printed out the "postage stamp".

Version 1.0.1 does not print at all.  Gives message: "Printer Driver Problem.  Data required by the printer driver cannot be found or has been corrupted".

System has been rebooted, same results.  Other programs are printing OK. 

Get same message in all four print options that go to printer.  Using option to sent to HTML succeeds.

When I posted this, we got into the html-browser issue which has been resolved.  But my not printing is still an open issue. 

WIN98SE with HP DJ870Cse

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #39 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 1:15am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, Thanks for battling this headache, almost at the stage of looking for a new printer  Sad
Quote:
do you mean that you are using a driver that came with the operating system

Yes, with XP Pro until I downloaded the 2 drivers from HP and tried today. Currently running under the NT 4.0 driver from HP's site.
Quote:
Are you using any non-Microsoft programs that print to that printer other than Q&A?

Drawing programs include Visual Cadd, Auto Cadd Lt (just uninst but was printing fine), Vector and  Rhino.
Print direct from Scanner (HP5300c)
Print photo's using Cannon Photo Record and Kodak Picture Printer
Also print from Adobe Acrobat & Distiller as well as Photoshop.
Dos programs are Q&A of course and our CNC software but that is just printing from its built in text editor.
Most of the others are MS programs such as Office.

Now we also run under Lantastic which will not let XP share its printer, so as a check I uninstall Lantastic and removed the XP machine off the network but this made no difference with the printing problems.

Mark, I can print using the print default or by clicking options in the print dialog box method, that I can handle, the real problem to me is that it reduces the form and font size. Fonts end up at about 8 to 6pt, and the form at 6.25" wide thats the real headache.
thanks becky

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #40 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 11:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is still a problem.  When can we expect to see a solution?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #41 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 11:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
We've gone from about 80% or so tested working to well past 95% tested and working. Its really coming down to specific printers (instead of families) and specific OSs.

In your case, the error was:

"Printer Driver Problem.  Data required by the printer driver cannot be found or has been corrupted". 

which is indicative of a corrupted print driver.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #42 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 11:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark.....I will reinstall again and let you know the results.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print