Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Printing (Read 12351 times)
GW

No personal text

Printing
Dec 24th, 2003 at 4:44am
Print Post Print Post  
When trying to print a record using the "Record Commands - Print Form" option,  the printer just spits out a blank sheet. I have tried this on on some 10 different db forms with the same results, no print.
This also occured using records from the "Samples\gems. db"
When I tried it on the "Samples\Schedule.db" it did print a rectangle 1 1/8" x 5/8" in the background color in the top left corner of the page.
Table Views print.

The help screen & manual are a little vage with the following statement
"Forms are scaled to fit the printed page. If you have a form with very large dimensions, but only have layout elements in the top left corner, then the printed page will show the "active" area of your form in miniature at the top left of the printed page"

Can you clairify the correction for this statement & how do I get the saved record to print using this method? Am I missing the obvious?
thanks, becky

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Re: Printing
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2003 at 9:58am
Print Post Print Post  
These forms print fine for me Becky.  What printer are you using, and which operating system?

Alec
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2003 at 3:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Alec, I.m using Windoze XP pro printing to a HP2500c+
I did go into Q&A 5.0 after posting last night to print some needed records and it printed fine but then again Q&A uses a older dos driver.

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2003 at 11:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK here's my update to my printing problems!
Sesame would not print using the standard HP2500c series printer driver under Windows XP, no matter what I tried.

After installing additional printers(drivers) the HP 2500c series PS3 and the PCL5Ce driver it did print, but from the time of selecting ok to print to the printer commencing to print was some 3 & 4 minutes  Shocked

I have tried some other HP drivers and had them print instantly but with mixed results eg. incorrect color etc, so any ideas so I don't have to load and try every HP driver to see what works would be appreciated.

Is there anyway we can get more control over printing an individual record? rather than the print screen approach of what you see is what you get. For example having static text for easy form reconition and pleasing to the eye colors is great but what if we don't want those items printed in the case of using a pre-printed forms!

Senero:
We currently use Q&A 5.0 in the workshop as a point of sales system.
Customers come in to pick up items, if they do not have a charge account we enter the record on an Invoice form, print the Invoice, they pay, end of transaction.
If a customer comes in who has a charge account then we enter the record on a Pickup/Delivery form, print the ticket and away they go. Pic ticket records are later processed into their respective invoice billing cycles. Basically everthing is done on the fly with the importance of being able to print that record instantly.
Our Q&A forms have field labels, background, text and active text box colors but per our options we only print the entered record information.
Is there anyway we can get Sesame to react in the same way? I take it we cannot create an Element without a Label and any color in the form will print so how would you print added records on the fly to pre-printed forms?

Must admitt still on the learning curve but enjoying Sesame.

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2003 at 10:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
You should certainly use the correct printer driver for your printer. I suggest you remove all the extra "printers" you have installed (alternative drivers) and download the latest drivers for your printer from the HP website.
This printer seems to have a reputation for being horribly slow if you don't buy the RAM upgrade. You may not have seen this from Q&A, because it is only
printing text. Sesame is printing a "picture" of the form, which will take much longer to process.
How is printing from other Windows apps?  Have you tried printing other than small text documents from Word?

You might like to explore creating another form optimised just for printing. You can have as many forms as you like, and you can copy a form in Designer / Layout Manager.

You might also like to check out the WordMerge app supplied with Sesame. This allows you to print a single record using Word.

As for your suggestion for additional control over how elements print  - this is a good one, and we are certainly considering it for future versions.

Alec
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

to Re: Printing
Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 12:28am
Print Post Print Post  
Alec, the HP2500c+ is a commerical type printer from HP.
When we ordered this printer, we included the max memory module, postscript printing plus some other options, we currently use this printer to print a number of different formats including text, photo (including all our MS Office applications)and all our shop drawings from our cadd system, these print  to 8 1/2 x 11 in tray 2 to 11x17 in tray 3 & we have had no problems with printing or speed of print until now.

Quote:
You should certainly use the correct printer driver for your printer. I suggest you remove all the extra "printers" you have installed (alternative drivers) and download the latest drivers for your printer from the HP website.

The alternative drivers are the Poscript & PCL5 drivers which are included for this particular printer to enable postscript printing, the standard 2500 series driver that we normally always use is the current driver available from  HP. I did load some drivers from other HP printers & found that Sesame would print with them but will not print with the standard 2500 driver, therefore I'm assuming my problem goes a little deeper.

Will keep working on this but in the mean time will try some of your other suggestions.
thanks becky.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 3:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Concerning the delay in printing: does the delay occur before or after the standard print dialog appears?

If it happens before, then Sesame is trying to assemble your form for printing. Typically this happens no slower than it takes to assemble the form to show on screen - it is the same code with its output redirected to the printer. Typically, this is nearly instantaneous. In Win32, all "drawing" is done to a "device context" (called a "DC"). Usually that would be the device context for your screen. In print form, we use the device context for your printer, instead of the screen. The device context is part of the operating system that attaches a program to the device driver for any device that can draw. From the program's point of view, the DC for one device is identical in speed to any other DC. Any variation would be between the DC and device driver used.

Once the print dialog appears, Sesame is suspended by the operating system - which is busy passing (and possibly translating) the contents of the print queue to the print driver. Any delay here would be universal to any print job of equal complexity. To find a job of equal complexity - find a web page with a layout, use of color, use of images, background image, and somewhat equal size as your form, and print it from your web browser. Make sure (if your form has a background color) to tell the web browser to print the background color and background images from the web page. Both Netscape and I.E. have options to tell them to print the background.

There are at least three HPs that go by the term 2500c - one of the them is a plotter - intended for use in displaying technical drawings. Because it is built for extreme accuracy - this 2500c will be very very slow. From your description of its general behavior, I doubt this is the one you have. Another 2500c is a color laser printer. The third is an ink jet printer. In that you describe using 11"x17" a capability of only the inkjet and the plotter - can we assume you have the inkjet?

Do not use the Postscript translation module with Sesame for any form that has color fills - Postscript is an ASCII format that will create a text description of every dot of color it is trying to print. This will be very slow. If your print driver allows control - you may be able to specify that it use B&W or greyscale - and see if that improves the speed.

Have you tried making a copy of your application (always work with at least one backup) and setting the form colors so that the backgrounds are all white and the text is all a single color? If that improves the print speed - you may consider using two forms both attached to the same data. One for data entry and other operations. And one for printing. A macro or SBasic programming could allow you to switch between them in automation.

For your final application you may consider using the print commands in SBasic. They will allow you to extract the data from your result set and print it pretty much however you want (with labels or without). Or you should consider using the free form reports in report writer. The print commands use a similar mechanism as print form, but offer substantially more control. The free form reports use the operatings system's HTML print handler - so if your web browser is printing quickly, so will they.

We are looking into providing a separate command that will print only the form data and labels - not the using the background colors or the "boxes" or the static images. If there is sufficient market demand, it will be in the next major release.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Same problem using my HP2500CM.  Spooky.

This usually due to the form being set to a size much larger than the elements it contains. Print form uses the form size to scale how big it prints everything in the form. Load your .db file into SDesigner and check the size of your form. The sample databases included in the box - or downloaded with the free trial version, should be okay. But any databases built previously (used as part of the Beta program) may well exhibit this behavior.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 9:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, bear with me and  I will try to explain my problem a little better than the previous post and answer your questions at the same time.

The printer we use is a "Deskjet HP 2500C Plus"
Sesame will not print using the standard 2500c series print driver under Windows XP pro.
Driver name "UNIDRV.DLL"
Data File "HPWM5250.GPD"
Config File "UNIDRVUI.DLL"
Driver Version "5.00"

HP does not have an updated driver for this printer under WinXP.

To get Sesame to Print I installed the "PS3 & PCL5" drivers (the only other drivers available for the HP2500 series) and Bingo, Sesame printed, but with the result of slow transfer to the printer which I presume is the result of converting to postscript.
Now we do not want to print using Postscript but it was the only way we could print using the 2500 series drivers.

Per my previous post:
Quote:
I have tried some other HP drivers and had them print instantly but with mixed results eg. incorrect color etc, so any ideas so I don't have to load and try every HP driver to see what works would be appreciated.

I am told I should not use drivers for other printers, but if I can find one that works so we are up and running with the new data base for the start of the new year then we have time to figure out the rest later.
Besides if I tell the boss we need to spend $999 to upgrade our printer to the newer HP2600 business series printer just to print our forms, I may find myself on the unemployment list  Grin

Our new data base that I'm working on feverously for the new year has been stripped of a lot of Sesame's bells and whistles in the form design just to get the quick print to our forms.

One of the biggest things we liked about Q&A is that using a point of sale invoice, pic ticket data base system is that while your customer is standing on the other side of the couter, anyone in the workshop can fill in the blanks on the screen form, hit F2, F10 to print, F10 to save record, put a hard copy in the customers hands in 30 seconds or less and be pulling the ordered items from stock immediately. This not only makes us happy but our customers also.
We don't have to change screens to find print specs, or design them for that matter and this sure makes life easier.

It is still early & Sesame is showing itself to be a very powerfull DBMS but sometimes its the simplest operations that makes things work well.   Wink

Going along similar lines, from our point of view we would love to see the menu tree moved to drop down menu's along the top menu bar and give us full screen use of our form. The reason is, using the above mention data base system, we have designed the form to match paper layout then to print using "Record Commands / Print Form"
As you cannot see all your form without scrolling and if you drag the form to full screen so non computer savey employees don't get confused with the tree then we are creating more headaches and problems getting those employees back to the print form selection.
A drop down menu with a "Print Form" selection working with a full screen would simplify input immensely, would also make Sesame more familiar like 99% of the other programs we use.

Your probably sick of my ramblings by now but as I'm on a roll with this subject of printing records on the fly at input, we would like to be able to print the record prior to saving to the data base. You get so many customers after seeing their ticket want to make changes to the order. As the order is committed to the data base the non savey worker from the workshop now has to quit out of add records and now have to access to search/update records for them to find and change. We feel this one is a diaster waiting to happen for us.

Of course this is not criticism just quirks that we would like to have to make our DBMS more powerfull. Smiley

IP Logged

hhiarbee

No personal text

Reply #9 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 10:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
We have been using q&a since 1987. For an end user it has enabled me to design the databases that we run our office on. The best part of q&a was its simplicity.  It did about half of what other products did but about 95% of what we really needed. The element of q&a that made it  useful to us was the ease of printing letters and court documents. As someone has already pointed out, choose your document,press f2 and f10 database screen comes up, choose record(s) and you have a document. I  as many others have been waiting for Sesame for years.  I have not received my pre-ordered copies as of yet but have downloaded the demo. Of course in the demo the qa translator is not enabled, nor can one see how the word processing link works since there is no obdc(?) driver.
I am afraid that Sesame is so powerful that it has lost sight of the simplicity of Q&A.  I still can't get a simple, easy to understand , nontechnical answer how quickly a mail merge can be done.  We use Q&A in an office environment where 7 secretaries are printing dozens of different letters each per day from the same database at the same time. If they have to go through 15 steps to print a letter than I am afraid this product will be useless for our purposes. I and my staff have been waiting to get our hands on Sesame not only as an upgrade path but to help us deal with the databases getting corrupted over the years. I don't mean to complain when so much hard work has gone into this product but is there still and easy way to do the mailmerge printing...or maybe can we hope for a lite version of sesame? I have read the faq and manual on how simple the mail merge printing is but it doesn't sound so simple to me.
Thanks

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #10 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 11:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, for starters, F2/F10 (PrintForm) is not the same thing as a mail merge in any program, including Q&A.  Wink Wink Wink

A mail merge involves placing the data from each record in a data source into the correct position in a word processing document. At an absolute  minimum, you need to:
1. Create the data source and fill it up with data records.
2. Create the merge document and tell it where the data goes.
3. Tell the document what records to use and where the data is.

It would be quite a trick to explain all of the above steps while remaining completely non-technical. Especially considering how complex merge documents can get!

There is an article on this subject which mentions three different methods that are explored more fully in the manuals, and gives an example of a fourth at:
http://www.lantica.com/Support/sesamelibart24.html

Your Sesame package includes a WordMerge application which can be used to get you started. It comes with several sample merge documents that run by clicking a button in the Sesame form. It works very nicely, and can be used an an example.

Merging is a popular topic and I'm sure that Inside Sesame, the newsletter that replaces The Quick Answer, will include many articles on the subject.
http://www.insidesesame.com

Bottom line, there are a number of ways to skin this particular cat. One of them is likely to work for you.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

hhiarbee

No personal text

Reply #11 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 11:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry if iI didn't make myself clear. I was talking about printing a write document (letter) and merging the data from the database associated with that document.  Again f2 f10 choose the record(s)  f10 and the letter prints. Do any of the ways Sesame uses (once the  merge letter is designed in Word)  make it this easy..or can a macro be designed to accomplish it. As I said I dont want to complain but I have asked this question several times during the design process and ..maybe because I am slow I still don't know how many different steps or keystrokes it takes to accomplish this task. I know that an incredible amount of time went into Sesame..I have followed it on the Delphi forum during the design process as well as the Lantica website..I am only trying to see if it will work for the purposes we use Q&A for. We print a hundred different documents a day from one main database.  I can see if you were doing one or several large mass mailings it might not matter as much.
Thanks again
Ps I am hoping once i get my copies of Sesame that I will have a  better understanding of it.

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #12 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 11:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sorry if iI didn't make myself clear. I was talking about printing a write document (letter) and merging the data from the database associated with that document.  Again f2 f10 choose the record(s)  f10 and the letter prints. Do any of the ways Sesame uses (once the  merge letter is designed in Word)  make it this easy..or can a macro be designed to accomplish it.

Have you tried the WordMerge samples?  It does what you describe here, even easier than Q&A. You set up merge document(s) and use them for merging with your database, as in Q&A.  Only difference is that the merge document is in Word.

In fact, it's easier than Q&A.  I'm sure you will all find - after a short while - that the Sesame logic of "Find your records first, then decide what to do with them" is actually more convenient, and more intuitive, and often faster, than Q&A's "Tell me what you want to do, then tell me which records you want to use.  Want to do something else as well? - Then start all over again."

Alec
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #13 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 12:09am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sorry if iI didn't make myself clear. I was talking about printing a write document (letter) and merging the data from the database associated with that document.

Since Sesame does not have an integrated word processor, you will need to get an external word processor involved to do merge documents. The reason why it is difficult to answer "how many keystrokes" is because we have no idea what your actual requirements are. As I said earlier, there are a lot of different kinds of merge documents and several different methods for Sesame to print them. It will be require more setup than in Q&A, because of the external word processor, but it can be automated in several different ways.

While the final method you use will be be different from Q&A, you will likely be able to find a method that works for you. The inital setup will likely be a bit more complicated than with Q&A, however, once your setup is done, it will likely be a question of clicking a button, or making a choice from a UserSelect list.

Take a look at the WordMerge application. You retrieve your records and click a button on the Form. You choose which document you want, whether you want all the records or just this one, and off it goes! Three clicks.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

hhiarbee

No personal text

Reply #14 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 12:43am
Print Post Print Post  
Great thanks for putting up with me...can't wait to get my hands on my copy!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print