Normal Topic F8 programming (Read 827 times)
sjbrady

No personal text

F8 programming
Feb 22nd, 2004 at 2:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am a senior and a volunteer responsible for an art centre membership data base of about 1,000 names which I developed on Q&A in 1993.
For the past 3 weeks, working a few hours a day, reading and following the manuals, I have converted the 2004 records to a Sesame format.
The new form looks great and works well.
My Basic programming knowledge was developed about 30 years ago and since Windows, I have forgotten most of it.
The Q&A program was reliant on lots of keyboard macros. To update records for membership annual renewal cheques, one macro jumped from field to field automatically changing dates, computing tax receipts, mailing addresses etc. Most of these calculated fields were not “entered” in the update process. I have converted most of this macro using IF THEN and GOTO statements.
My questions:
1.      The macro included a F8 keystroke at the end to recalculate the existing record which I could then check for errors before I saved it and went to the next record using F7. With Sesame I can update by using the F8 key but would like to do this with a programming statement in a field. I have tried several options without success. How does one do this? A Manual page reference would be fine.
2.      Is there a book which I could get to bring me up to speed on SBasic or something close to it? The “Dummies” series level would suit me.
3.      My Q&A prepared pre-printed, tractor driven, dot-matrix, carbon tax receipt forms using the “Mailing labels” function of the program. The label was designed to print on a 7” X 4” form using field information. I have not yet reached the write-merge stage of the conversion but the Manual seems to indicate it should be simple. Any hints before I start please? I would like to use up the balance of the forms before I convert to MS Word laser printed forms.
Thanks,
Steve Brady

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: F8 programming
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 10:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
1. For program autocalc, put your programming in On form change event. In Sdesigner, in Property Editor, choose "Other" tab, and in that choose Option for Layout.  There you want to choose option of AutoCalc - Yes.  If any thing will change in the form, all caclulation will be executed automatically without pressing F8 key. If not you may keep one date field and change that for today's date using programming and that should prompt the autocalc.  You mentioned in the process of viewing records, you have been using "F7", so I believe, you have been using Search and Update. You may also want to put your calculation codes in Form Entry Event something like this.

If not @IsNew and @update then { your calculation goes here}

By doing so, as soon as the form is loaded, calculation will execute and if you change anything, the autocalc (on form change event) will execute. I believe, this should obviate the need to use F8 key and still viewing all your calculation.

2. This board has a wealth of information. You can refer to it periodically and that will help you a lot. This board is monitored and supported by the programmers and developers of Sesame. There is also a monthly "Inside Sesame" periodical that you might want to look into.

3. I am sure your dot-matrix printer should work with Sesame if it works with Windows.

P.s. Because of certain extra characters in your note, I might have missed some important points. Please preview your note in the future to keep them out. As such you can also re-edit your own note.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2004 at 8:05am by Bharat_Naik »  

IP Logged

sjbrady

No personal text

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 12:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the suggestions, will try them.
Sorry about the typing errors, I did the original off-line on MS Word then cut and pasted. Didn't check to see if paste worked.
Have done another sample from Word.
Test “”
This use of quotation marks seems OK to me here, will have to see what happens when I post.
Steve Brady

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 1:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Word creates "smart quotes". Smart quotes are so bloody smart that many products don't know that they are quotes. Other products, since as non-Microsoft browsers, tend to scratch their collective heads render them as  & # 8221, and such.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged