Normal Topic Field Changed Indicator (Read 450 times)
jerry.frazier

No personal text

Field Changed Indicator
Feb 29th, 2004 at 7:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am trying to address a performance problem.  I have some code that only needs to run if the information in a specific field changes.  Is there any way to determine if the value of a specific field has changed since the record was loaded or created?  I do not want to run the code just because some other field changed on the form.

Thanks,

Jerry Frazier

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Field Changed Indicator
Reply #1 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 8:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I have some code that only needs to run if the information in a specific field changes.  Is there any way to determine if the value of a specific field has changed since the record was loaded or created?  I do not want to run the code just because some other field changed on the form.

I think this should be workable if you put the code in "On Element Change" event. If you are tracking a lot of such fields, you might want to have that in Global Code section and make indirect field reference.  Please let us know, if this works for you. Everyone is trying to learn here from each other, that is what I like the best about this forum. Moreover, it is not closed on weekends and holidays.  Grin

IP Logged

jerry.frazier

No personal text

Re: Field Changed Indicator
Reply #2 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 8:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
That works.  I have read the manuals from cover to cover.  I knew there had to be a way.  I was confusing On Element Change with On Element Exit.  I am working with converted code and there were some extensive XLOOKUPs the were being driven on every field change.  By putting the code under On Element Change, it is only driven when actually needed.  This improves the response for the entire form. 

Thanks a lot!

Jerry Frazier

IP Logged