Normal Topic Looking for Suggestions (Read 982 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Looking for Suggestions
Feb 28th, 2004 at 3:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey folks!

I want to start developing some learning/reference documents for the Support area. The format I'm looking at is for one-page, nicely formatted docs with instructions and screen shots that can print out to one page and be filed or three-hole-punched and put in a ring binder. Each one-pager would cover a simple and specific task step-by-step. This format is not appropriate for things like "I need a full tutorial on using subforms," but I think it will serve very well for things like "How do I put a static image on my form?" or "How do I create a shortcut that starts Sesame as a Server?"

Any suggestions for tasks or techniques you would like to see covered in this format?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Looking for Suggestions
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 4:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am all for it. I believe, this should be very useful and educational and ease the learning curve. Neophytes like myself can use all the help he can get.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 11:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
I believe many users are still struggling with different methods of creating a unique record number and then passing that record number to other databases within the application. I have used more then one method to accomplish this task not necessarily knowing if one is better then the other. The methods I have used so far are the Xlookupr method and the creation of  separate @numbers with the use of @globalvalue  I find the Xlookupr is the simplest method for me to create the number and then use global values to pass that number to the other databases as needed

I think you can pick a method and cover it well on one sheet, and I believe many could benefit from this example.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. Grin

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Reply #3 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 11:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is an excellent idea, and demonstrates how supportive Lanticans and everyone can be towards the learning of Sesame.

Suggestions that I can think of:
1) Group these documents into some specified categories.
2) Provide these documents (or something similar - or maybe an INDEX of the documents) in a downloadable Sesame database!  LE's for things such as Topic, Keywords, and a large text field to hold the body of the document (or maybe just a summary, in the case of an INDEX database).  A layout element that might contain a hyperlink to the document on the web site would be of benefit.

I don't have specific tasks in mind at the moment, but a thorough "mining" of all the posts here on the forum would probably provide quite a few!

IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 9:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
hm, some specific tasks I can think of are;

1. Using XLookup functions between forms and subforms
2. Popup lists and user select menus (ie., how to populate them, what they can be used for)
3. Examples of using SelectTreeItem

IP Logged

josebetzy

Hmmm. How? Cómo?

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 4:01am
Print Post Print Post  
This is an excellent idea and a need for so many using a new product, Sesame. May I suggest that as each learning reference is posted, that this same reference be applied to an application that starts out with the bare esentials and see it grow in complexity using these same references.  Perhaps it may be easier to actually see it working in an application, its overall interaction and results.  The reason I suggest applying to an application is that it would be a natural process of development and usage of the many available tools. One starts at the beginning and then to the complex.

This document will eventually become a complete reference in itself.  As suggested by others, categorize by topic. As this grows, the topics will become clearer and define themselves.

I've been away for about a week, but I will sit down and mention a whole list of code needs and "How do I do this" .

Jose L. Muñoz

IP Logged

Geo

No personal text

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 5:34am
Print Post Print Post  
I have been a Q&A User Since 1990.  Having developed many complex databases in that time.  Currently I'm using the new Sesame manuals and trying to convert some of my databases to Sesame and I'm having a hard time doing just that since many changes are required.

I use to use the  Q&Answerman  by Spencer Wulwick to help solve many a program error and found it priceless.

So what I would like to see is a relationship to how I used to do a task in Q&A5.0 and how I have to do it now.  Since many of us are familiar with programing in  Q&A4/5, pointing us in the right direction to accomplish the same task using Sesame would really be helpful. 

And last but not least, most people learn by example so the more examples on a "How To" the better.

Hope this helps
Geo

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 1:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is heading in a great direction, folks. I really appreciate the input. Keep it coming!

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged