Normal Topic multiple lookups? (Read 1106 times)
FSGROUP

No personal text

multiple lookups?
Mar 1st, 2004 at 6:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Will this be implemented in Sesame in the near future? I think it would make things alot easier. For example, if I want to check to see whether a person already exists in the database by checking their first and last name.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: multiple lookups?
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 7:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Could you please give a larger example of what you are trying to accomplish? Because I am not sure of what you mean by lookup by first and last name.

Do you mean in a search? Or a popup list or ?

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 8:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
I think he means, multi-keyed xlookups - not do-able in Q&A's XLookup or Sesame's - more SQL-ish, where you can use an expression involving multiple fields in a SELECT statement with the WHERE clause.

You can do this in Sesame by using a hidden LE on the form and in On Form Change, combine the first and last names into the hidden "Full Name" LE - then do the XLookUp with the hidden "Full Name" LE as the key field.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 8:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, I would like to create a popup list with all the names of the customers in the database. However, the first name and last name are stored in two separate fields. Problem is I want the names to show up in the list as "Smith, Jon", "Gaine, Steve", etc..

I would also like to perform a search on first and last names in SBasic.  Say I have a customer in the database named Jon Smith.  His spouse is Karen Smith. I want to set his Contact field to be "Mr. and Mrs. Jon Smith" if Karen is also stored in the database as a customer, otherwise Contact should be "Mr. Jon Smith".

Using XLookup, I can only search on one field, which means, I can look up "Smith" or "Karen" but not both.

IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 11:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
How would I go about using the hidden field method in a subform?

I have an ID field that is the matching field b/w the form and subform.  My subform does not contain any client name information.  What I would like to achieve is to have a popup list of client names(last, first) if I am in Add/Update mode for the subform only. Makes it easier than searching a client's ID.

Thanx

IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 11:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
ignore my last post. Smiley

IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 8:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there no plans to add something resembling SQL queries? I am finding it very difficult to accomplish some tasks that should be simple except for the fact that there is no multi-keyed lookups. I don't like the idea of having to create hidden fields to re-store the same information that is already there to be used if only we could do a multi-key lookup I guess I'll try using hidden LE's but I really do think that a multi-key lookup would make development much easier and allow for more powerful (and better designed) applications.

Just my 2 cents.

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 10:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rather than creating hidden LE's to hold data in lieu of multi-key lookup, could variables be used?  These do not require the creation of additional LE's, nor the "wasted" storing of duplicate data?  I'm no programmer, so there may be some problems that I'm not aware of - just wanted to throw this into the discussion.  Looks like there are "regular" variables, static variables, and Global Static variables to consider...

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 10:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Variables would not work in this case. The records in the external database being checked for a key match don't get to declare stop and variables and combine the values before being checked. Variables exist in forms. The external database being checked for matching records doesn't have a Form at that point.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged