Normal Topic My files won't open (Read 693 times)
griffeth

No personal text

My files won't open
Mar 6th, 2004 at 5:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've been working with the same file now for a couple of months, now all the sudden I can't it to open.  I get an error message that says - "file failed to open" - any advice?

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: My files won't open
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2004 at 10:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Unlock it using the System Administrator control panel in Sesame, not in the Designer.

1. Click on File, System Administration.
2. Enter the login and password values (default = admin and hello). 
3. Click on Accept.
4. On the Tab for Unlock application, highlight the file to be unlocked.
5. Click on Exit.
6. From the Main Menu, click on File, Open Application.
7. Select  your file, and you should be all set.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: My files won't open
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2004 at 1:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame only allows one server to access any one .db/.dat file at a time. To insure that more than one server cannot access that same file, we have a flag in the file indicating that a server does or doesn't have it open.

Sesame never leaves a file actually open, even while you are using it, unless it is being actively read or written. It does this to avoid the corruption which is inevitable if a file is in an "open" state when the power goes off or the network goes down - especially in Windows where the caching of file contents is unstable. So, we reopen the file for each use, and close it again when finished (usually less than a tenth of a second later).

If an application file is not "closed" inside Sesame, whether by opening a different application, shutting down the server, using the "close" pulldown choice, or exiting standalone Sesame - that "in use" flag is left "set". If no one else is using the application file at the time, there is no harm in "unlocking" a locked Sesame application.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged